Dangerous wheel shimmy after hitting a large bump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2003, 12:04 PM
Addict

Alec78CJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dangerous wheel shimmy after hitting a large bump

Here's the story. I swapped a waggie d44 into the front of my CJ several months back. I have been driving it almost daily since then without any problems. However, yesterday I hit a very large bump and the front of my CJ started "jumping" up and down. It was like a tie rod end had broken and the tire folded in and being dragged sideways. This was not the case though. I looked out at the left front wheel and it was violently moving left to right. After I pulled over to the side of the road I gave everything a quick look (including my pants!) and it seemed alright. I went slowly up the street to a gas station to take a better look...nothing! Everything was tight. I had a friend turn the wheel so I could look for loose or broken parts...nothing! Could this be caused by to much caster...I ended up with 8 degrees after I narrowed it. For the past few months my CJ has driven better then it has for the past 10 years! Now, it kind of scares me. I checked both hi steer arms and they are tight. I also checked all tie rod ends and they are tight. Wheel bearings are tight too. The only thing I can come up with is the length of the shackles that I run. They are heavy duty shackled but they are slightly longer the stock. Now, when I turn the wheel the frame moves the opposite direction. Also, the steering box is tight and it does have a currie steering brace on it.
This has stumped me because it has been fine up until now, and it only happens when I hit a very large bump. Any ideas?

Alec
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Addict

4x401CJ5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dangerous wheel shimmy after hitting a large bump

8 degrees of caster is a bit excessive, and the over length shackles will be compounding the problem. What
size tires you running? Are you running a shackle reverse? Do you have/ what kind of shape is your steering
stabilizer in? Sounds like a clear case of death wobble to me. You could try to shim out some of the caster,
but that may create pinion angle problems. I`m only running 4 degrees of caster with a S/R on my 44 and
haven`t expierenced any problems.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-04-2003, 03:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...
jamgood96 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm running about 8 on mine(isn't that what we set it to?), and am not having any problems as of yet(knock on wood).
Old 08-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Addict

4x401CJ5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Really?! I don`t remember there being that much.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

GeeAea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dangerous wheel shimmy after hitting a large b

Why should he have pinion angle problems? If he had too little caster I could see it ....you may be trying to point the pinion "down" and it would be on the wrong end of the fudge factor of the parallel planes of the yokes. It's a little easier tilting the pinion up 2 degrees. This thing has a CV front shaft doesn't it? Even if it doesn't no power is applied to it at any real speed. Now if the pinion is already pointing at the t-case yoke ..then I could see the issue since it would be sorta the same as pointing a pinion down to get more caster on a normal setup - except now your going the other way too far..

Educate me if I have something wrong here....
Old 08-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

elusive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dangerous wheel shimmy after hitting a large b

do a search on death wobble.
you do have a steering stabilizer right?
Old 08-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A
babypoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Did the violent shaking go away after you stopped and looked everything over if so that it's the same thing that happened to me a few weeks ago when my steering stabilizer to a poop I reaplaced problem gone.
John
jduffey97tj@yahoo.com
Old 08-04-2003, 09:19 PM
Journeyman

MuddyCJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I had basically the same problem with my 79 CJ's D30. I hit a bump doing about 55 with traffic all around me. The front end started shaking violently and I was all over the road. All front end parts were new and tight. The only thing that I hadn't changed was the steering box. I have power steering and the way that I was checking the play in the steering was by turning the steering wheel with the engine running. With the engine running I had no play. When I tried it with the engine off, I had about 5 inches of play in the steering wheel. I changed the steering box and have not had a problem since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.