how hard is it to fix a bad lifter/push rod? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2003, 12:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default how hard is it to fix a bad lifter/push rod?

I think that I have a bad lifter and that is why I am missing, this is my last guess before I take it to a real mechanic. Thanx.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2003, 01:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: how hard is it to fix a bad lifter/push rod?

also the reason I think I have a bad lifter is because I used to have a sticking valve and when it stuck I think I bent my lifter. any replies would be helpful.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-2003, 09:24 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

1. If you've got a sticking valve,
2. Whacking it with a big hammer may help,
3. But not for long.
4. It will stick again.
5. Take that head off, and have it refurbished.
6. You do the grunt work...,
7. The machinist will do the hard stuff,[*] Checking valves,[*] Checking valve springs, [*] Replacing seals,[*] Checking valve seats,[*] Lapping valves and seats,[*] Checking for cracks,[*] Pressure testing the head[*]facing the head, [*] Resurfacing the mating surface for the block. [*] Bead blasting [*] Hot tanking,[*] I'm sure there's more I forgot...
8. You're sitting at home,
9. Installing[*] Cam[*] Lifters [*] Pushrods (when the head comes back)
10. And as a bonous...
11. You get to examine all the stuff you'll remove and reinstall..
12. Up close and personal.
13. Now that's my idea of FUN! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

GeeAea is an unknown quantity at this point

If you bent anything ..it would be a pushrod. Lifters don't bend. Collapse ...stick ...but I can't figure how one would bend ..especially when the pushrod would be the weaker link.

Before you go nuts on tearing into the head ....just pull the valve cover and undo the rockers. Since you're somewhat of a novice I would tell you to pull one pushrod at a time and roll it on a flat surface. If it's okay (no wobble)...then put it back where you got it.

About 25 years ago I had a POS Hornet wagon with an AMC 6 in it. The intake gasket leaked and I, being in too much of a hurry, applied some sealant externally to the intake. Well I started it up too soon and the stuff got sucked into the intake and ...yes....seized the valve. That I fixed with a hammer ...but the pushrod was now a "dog leg".

I didn't take the time to do it right ...so I took the time to do it over.

My only cautioned advice that I will give you in regard to redoing the head (machining etc) is that you may encounter some side effects afterwards. Engines tend to degrade as a package. That is the valves tend to seal less ...as the rings are wearing. Sometimes when you tighten (seal) up the top end ...the added compression now exits the only weak link and you end up with excessive blow by.

I just want you to be prepared.

Old 07-02-2003, 06:31 AM
Journeyman

desertbuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

a suggestion...
Before tearing things apart... try adding 2 quarts of ATF fluid to your oil and drive with it for some time (no harm there)...
ATF has awsome cleansing (detergent additives) properties.
It cured mysticky lifter problem... often it's nothing more than grime that needed to be taken off...
IMO you won't lose anything if you tried this first... [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2003, 09:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanx guys I'll give all of this a try if I have anymore problems I wll ask again thanx again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement