how loose should push rods be? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2003, 10:13 PM
Veteran

80cj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how loose should push rods be?

the jeep just started making a terrible engine noise (or it just got bad enough to hear with the top off) sounds like the valves, so i check the timing around 8* so that is ok. took the valve cover off and all the bolts are tight, but the rockers and push rods are loose and have some play in them. they weren't all loose b/c i assume those were the ones that were compressing a valve, but more than half were loose. they shouldn't ever get so loose that they have play in them should they? i had a problem with one lifter last fall, the 'ball' that sits on the end slipped down inside and made it loose, but i replaced it and haven't had trouble since. but now it seems that they are all loose. i took one out and looked at it and it looked fine. any ideas here? it is getting really bad. also it has about 15k on it since it was completely rebuilt.

thanks all
shawn
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2003, 07:18 AM
Enthusiast

M38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how loose should push rods be?

really in some book somewhere there should be a measurment you can make with a feeler gauge

more than likely on the TDC on each cylinder just slide it under and check

not sure about your motor but with Small block chevy's you used to able to tighten slowly until the rattle stopped and back off a little and they were fine, (hydrualic lifters)

clint
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-01-2003, 07:53 AM
Addict

Pigpen is an unknown quantity at this point

If they are hydralic lifters there is not any gapping. The rods should be lose enough to spin when not under pressure but you should not be able to pull/push them up and down. When the cam lob comes up the spring in the lifter is compressed and allows the oil pressure to send oil up the tube. Bad lifters will sometimes get stuck in the compressed compression and the tap that can be heard is the cam wacking the lifter, or lifter wacking the rod/rocker due to the gap between the two. You can try to add automatic tranny fluid to your engine oil. Run the engine for about 1 hour and change the oil with reg oil. The tranny fluid is less thick and can clean sticky lifters.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:53 AM
Addict

Pigpen is an unknown quantity at this point

Anything is possible but if you had a complete rebuild and the problem was not there in the beginning it sound like a bad lifter.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:05 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The rods should be lose enough to spin when not under pressure but you should not be able to pull/push them up and down

[/ QUOTE ]1. Pigpen's right!
2. Give that the lifter is pumped correctly,
3. When not under pressure you should be able to "spin" the push rod.
4. Push rods and lifter faces are designed to create that spin.
5. This helps keep down wear.
6. As the lifters and the rods spin,
7. Different contact points are made.
8. This is one of the reasons[*] You ALWAYS put the push rods back in hole they came out of[*] You never Polish 'em[*] You replace lifters... you should replace the push rods as a set.
9. Examine the rockers for a bad wear pattern where it contacts the push rod.
10. If the rocker arm is cupped the push rod may not be spinning,
11. That indicates wear.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Pooh-Bah

uglyjeepoffroad is an unknown quantity at this point

If it has been making noise the whole time, there may be a problem with the push rods.
I have recently been researching the lengths used by AMC and there are at least 3 distinct length push rods.

9.56" for early 258's with seperate rockers
9.65" for early 258's with a rocker bridge
9.70" for later 258's with seperate rockers

Mine were too short on my rebuilt engine and I was getting valvetrain noise. Sounded like a deisel, just without all of that annoying power. [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
I ordered a set of the 9.70" ones to take up the slop. I haven't installed them yet, but they measure out right and should do the trick. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Veteran

there is up and down play in almost all of them. i can tap the rockers and they have play in them. it is just really odd to me that they all seem to be going at once. changing them is not a big deal, but i am worried that it may be an indication of a bigger problem. but what can it be?

thanks all
shawn
Old 07-02-2003, 07:57 AM
Veteran

so can anyone think of anything else that would cause this? if not i guess i will just try to replace all the rods. the rods i have now are hollow tubes with balls welded on the end. are these a cheap version?

thanks all
shawn
Old 07-02-2003, 08:36 AM
Mud in my Veins

Caver Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I was wondering when you were gonna chime in!

And what's the issue in the D30? Any chance of getting it "all" back together in time for URE next weekend (July 12)?
Old 07-02-2003, 08:42 AM
Pooh-Bah

uglyjeepoffroad is an unknown quantity at this point

No. Radiator prices are killing me.
I haven't torn into the 30. I was waiting to get the radiator replaced before I get into it. If I get the radiator replaced, I can at least drive it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement