How do I tell if the ignition module is bad?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2003, 12:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default How do I tell if the ignition module is bad??

I recently bought a 88 YJ with a rebuilt engine. I have barely been able to drive it because it is always at the mechanics...

Now it is there because it <font color="blue"> stalls when I am driving </font color> . For the first few seconds the gas pedal does not work, but the engine still runs. Then after about 5-30 seconds the entire car shuts off. It has become more and more difficult to restart after one of these episodes, sometimes taking 3 minutes until the engine will kick over.

How can I tell if it is the ignition module other than replacing it?

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do I tell if the ignition module is bad??

1. It's a YJ, not a TJ.
2. Your engine has the horrid BBD Carb,
3. Read This,
4. Print it out to take to the Mechanic.
5. The symptoms could be an Ignition Module, but doubtful,
6. Buy an inexpensive Wells module and swap it out,
7. I doubt it'll do any good, and if it doesn't,
8. You've got a spare... 'cuz you're gonna need it sooner or later.
9. Some autoparts stores can test the module, but,
10. I don't put too much faith in the test because,
11. The module isn't subjected to heat, ground problems or vibration during the test phase.
12. Those are the three things that kill, or make marginal a module.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-2003, 01:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks. I will give it to the mechanic.

The carb was replaced last month, not upgraded though.

Old 06-18-2003, 01:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Has anyone had similar problems?
Old 06-18-2003, 01:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

jeepgod is an unknown quantity at this point

first off its not a car... so please refrain from the "C" word.... [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

now.. i take it that it does this after you have been driving it alittle bit.. say over 10 minutes... and then.. as you push on the gas pedal.. nothing.. it just kinda runs.. and then dies...
sounds like you have a problem with your fuel delivery.. i had this same problem.. and tried everything to fix it.. never did.. but.. now that the engine is apart.. the mechanic thinks it was boiling the gas off in the carb... basically vapor lock..
sounds like what you have.. vapor lock.. this is when the fuel gets so hot it turns into vapor.. and your vehicle stalls.. after it cools off.. it runs again? look for places around your fuel lines for heat.. from the exhaust.. and what not..
Old 06-18-2003, 07:20 PM
Journeyman

GeCJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is how my ignition module started to show signs of failure. The first time was the engine would just stop running after being fully wormed up. This time between worm up and failure would become less and less over time. the symptom was like someone turning off the ignition key.

The second time this happen to me the jeep would not start on the first try. It eventually worsen over time till I had to keep starting it 4 to 5 times. But the module rarely failed while driving. Only twice in 6 months. I did take the module to Auto Zone for testing an it passed! So don't believe in those testers!

Bought the Wells Module at the Zone for $16.00 and all is good! So far this is my fourth module since I bought this jeep in 1992.

Ge
Old 06-19-2003, 12:10 AM
Old Hand

unhumen is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out he MSD or TFI coil post....my problem turned out to be a loose wire .
I hate crimp connectors. " Give me solder, or give me death."
now I cut off the plastic sleeve, crimp it , solder it, and cover it with RTV blue for insulation.sometimes I use RTV and a small piece of rubber hose .
Old 06-19-2003, 12:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hold the end that hooks to the distributer and have your wife crank it if you scream like a banchy then it works [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2003, 06:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the advice.

It doesn't have a pattern to stalling out while driving. Sometimes its when the engine is cold and sometimes when the engine is hot. And once it does stalls once, chances are it will stall within a few minutes. Also, I think there is a slight burning smell (kind of like burning rubber) that accompanys the stalling.

About the distributor cap test...I am not married, and I'm not a lesbo. But I'll round up some brave guy to do the honors.

What exactly does the jeep do when the ignition module is bad?

Old 06-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Journeyman

GeCJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just like I described above. It works or it does not work. Engine runs or does not run. On or off. It's electrical, it will tell the coil to spark or not from the distributor. It wont show or cause any signs, or never for me, that the engine is running bad, ruff idle or missing.

Ge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement