Smoking 304 V8.. trying to figure out why - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2003, 09:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

DanStew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Smoking 304 V8.. trying to figure out why

Once again I am trying to figure out the smoking coming from the motor.

The motor starts up and idles, no smoke, and once it starts to heat up it smokes a little at idle, but when i start revving it it smokes like hell.

The smoke is white in color.
I checked the cylinders. Average of 120 compression for each cylinder. I did not do a leak down test.

Vacuum line from the auto tranny to engine has no tranny fluid in it.

I smelled the exhaust and ut does not have a sweet smell.

The engine idles and drives fine, lots of power to it. Like i said it doesn not smoke until it gets fully warmed up.

I have no oil in te coolant.

I am thinking it is valves, but the smoke does not go away after i start cruising, it just billows out. Can the valve seals be that worn that they just smoke no matter what?

And I am not suspecting rings because it smokes only when it is warm, and if it was rings i would think it would smoke instaltly off idle at cold because the rings would be cool and contracted to the piston.

Am I mising a base here? This is a stock 304 V8 with 2100 carb. and stock exhaust and everything. It does run good, just smoked like heck.

Thanks!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Addict

greencj7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Smoking 304 V8.. trying to figure out why

It kinda sounds like a bad head gasket. Not real bad, but once things get warm there is a passage for some coolant to go thru. Is the radiator low?

Ken Linzmeyer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the help Ken
I didnt check the radiator for coolant loss, i havnt driven the jeep much to see if it was low. Farthest i drove the thing was two days ago when i took it out to get gas and fumigate the area against Mosquitoes.

I am trying to go through all the bases, I dont want to pull the heads, but it is lookling like I may have to anyway [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Aaron871 is an unknown quantity at this point

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Smoking 304 V8.. trying to figure out why

[/ QUOTE ]

You ain't the only one!
Old 06-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sarge is an unknown quantity at this point

Do a compression check again with the engine as hot as you can stand it , but add a couple of small squirts of 30w oil in the cylinders , one at a time . Do your check with all the plugs out and the throttle wide open . If a second "wet" test is much higher , you have serious ring/cylinder wall problems . If it doesn't go up , it's the valves . Check the pcv system thoroughly , without any vacuum in the crankcase it can presurize itself and cause blowby pretty badly . A plugged exhaust system can also cause problems . I'd bet the valve guide seals are gone or cracked pretty good , you can see them when the valves are closed with the covers off . Just look to see if they are cracked and dried or popped off the stems .....
Sarge
Old 06-12-2003, 07:10 AM
Old Hand

done is an unknown quantity at this point

What intake are you running? Does the intake have the heat shield/baffle on the bottom of it? Do you have the valley pan gasket in place or are you running the 2 piece intake gaskets? The reason being is that the hot oil from the valley can splash against the bottom of the intake - burn off and the smoke go into the engine via the PCV system. I may have had a similiar experience using no baffle, no heat shield and two piece gaskets. however, I switched those parts out when a valve dropped and broke before getting 20 miles on the engine and the rings properly seated.
That scenario for oil consumption is a frequently a topic at this bbs: http://www.amcforum.net/forums/ in the engine mods section.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks Guys!!!

The engine is totally stock. It is th ecast iron 2BBL intake. I have not opened it up, so I am assuming it is the oem v8 intake gasket. I am going ot pop the valve covers and look at the seals.and see what they look like. After that I will do the leak down test.

I am trying to determine how much work and cost will be involved with this, i can get a running 360 for about $350, so it may be easier for me to just swap out the motor.

Thanks!!
Old 06-12-2003, 08:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, i know exactly what your problem is.. I had the EXACT same problem about a year ago. that was right before i rebuilt my 304. You've checked everything else that i did too....you might as well get ready to pull those heads off. I would bet a lot of money that your valves are cracked. Probably the exhaust valves. When mine was doing that, i took them off and i had one cracked, one leaking (soot everywhere), and one that was chipped. I took the heads in and had them totally rebuilt while i was at it, and had new valves and springs put on as well. when i put them back on.......the engine was like new, but i then decided to bore it out to .60 over, and put larger pistons in, making my motor equivalent to a 340, w/ a "torque-y" cam, 4bbl carb and intake, and well....you get the picture. I would guarantee that is what your problem is!!!! [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2003, 09:18 AM
Addict

Pigpen is an unknown quantity at this point

I would start with the coolant leak, but if your heads are bad. I have a set for the 304 that I rebuilt and put about 1000 miles on before I pulled the engine. You could make me an offer.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast

M38 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a simialar problem when i first got my jeep (difrent motor of course) compession was the first thing I checked it was fair and even.

I pulled the head and found the cylinder walls with vertical scars in them and the oil ring was leaving the scars full of oil on the down stroke and of course burning upon ignition

at an idle it was unbearable but if you tried to drive it it was unbeilevable, absoulutly couldn't see.

I honed it at ringed it and the smoke was gone, it still needs rebuilt I figure it has about 45 Hp so a rebuild is in the future.

don't know if it's the same or not

clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement