What would make all the wheel studs shear off? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2003, 11:51 AM
Veteran

80cj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What would make all the wheel studs shear off?

my brother just bought a waggy that was wrecked. the guy was driving it and all the wheel studs sheared off of the back (amc20hd) and the wheel came off causing the jeep to roll. what would cause this too happen? someone said that it may be a bad bearing, but i would think that a bad bearing would lock the tire before it sheared the studs. any ideas?

thanks all
shawn
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

lomodyj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What would make all the wheel studs shear off?

Over tightening of the lug nuts could stress them and over time they could shear.

Loose lug nuts would allow the wheel to wobble and break them.

brakes dragging could cause lots of heat stressing any and all metal near by.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-06-2003, 12:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

not haveing the lugs tought enough would do it.like lomodyj
said the wheel would wobble the it will fall off
Old 05-06-2003, 01:40 PM
Veteran

but if they were loose, the tire would fall off, but the studs would still be intact. they would be stripped and beat up, but still should be there....right?

shawn
Old 05-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Pooh-Bah

pbmcauliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

A buddy growing up had his rear wheel pass him on his 69 Chevelle. Turns out that brake was dragging causing lots of heat, then bang, all five lugs went, and the wheel tire passed us. I thought it was pretty funny watching the wheel go by, but he wasn't real happy.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

LMAO ohh thats too good..was there any damage to the axle/brake??
Old 05-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Can't Get Enough

jfralph is an unknown quantity at this point

Aluminum wheels that have had the lug nuts come loose on them. Even after the lug nuts have been retightened down, the wheel has be "ruined" for lack of a better term. The wheel will continue to cause problems and causing stress in the the lugs. I speak from experience. My son had a truck that happened to, thankfully, he did not roll. He had to replace all his wheels to keep from haveing the studs shear off again. My truck the same thing started to happen to it. A wheel came loose after a repair by the local tire store. the tire store went good and replaced the wheel.

Typically all the studs do not catastrophically break, they tend to break over time. Until the last one or two cannot not support the vehicle any longer.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

RickB is an unknown quantity at this point

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
but if they were loose, the tire would fall off, but the studs would still be intact. they would be stripped and beat up, but still should be there....right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No not necessarily. If the nuts are loose, the wheel will wobble, and slam back and forth on the studs and will snap them. I was driving a old Buick back from Florida and it was wobbling pretty good so I pulled over. There were only two nuts still on and the other three studs were snapped off. Luckily I stopped before any of the above sinerio's happened to me.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:14 PM
Pooh-Bah

cj5_pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

When I got my CJ5 one of the first things I checked was my front brakes. The back ones seemed to be working fine, so I left the rear wheels on, except to tighten down the lug nuts. Well, after driving the jeep through hunting season, I tore everything down to go through it. Found that all five lug nuts on one side were worn over half way through. Turned out that the wheel had been loose before I got it and tightened it, and that caused everything to be able to move and slowly slice through the lug nuts!!!! Thank goodness we decided to go all the way through the brakes and everything during the rebuild. I lost a tire as a kid once (my fault that time) and don't EVER want that to happen again.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Veteran

the wheels are aluminum. so does that mean that the wheel that came off is trash and can't even be used on another vehicle?

thanks all
shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement