building your own M416 trailer? pics? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2003, 01:01 AM
Addict

wades_76_CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default building your own M416 trailer? pics?

Ok, the plan is to build a M416 style trailer. Jeepwife and I have a float trip to go on in a month and the Jeep just dont have enough room to back all the gear in. It will fit with just us but if anyone wants to ride along it is either on the hood or hangin off the rear tire carrier! [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

I done a search and found the original owners manual for the M416 in Adobe format. I downloaded it and will use that for a few key measurments.
A few mods I will be making is that I will use a rear AMC 20 for the axle and some 2" wide 4" lift springs for the suspension. I plan to run 33's on the trailer to match the Jeepwife's "little" Jeep. I plan to use 2"x3" tubing for the frame and probably 14 or 16ga. for the "tub".

Anyone have any pics of their camping trailers? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks, Wade
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2003, 07:01 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of
Default Re: building your own M416 trailer? pics?

A perfectly good idea. No reason it won't work. But I sure wouldn't use an old AMC 20 for the axel. They're so heavy that they'll make that light trailer bounce around like super ball. Trailer axels are cheap. A couple of years ago I build a trailer and got a used axel from a trailer supply store for $50, with wheels and tires.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-04-2003, 07:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

jeepgod is an unknown quantity at this point

id like to know where you found that manual? i have a 416 ill be restoring here shortly..
Old 05-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Addict

wades_76_CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jim, the reason for using the old AMC 20 is dual sided. it's free and I already have it. I am working on a bit a budget here and also have a short timeframe to get all my materials rounded up. I can always replace it later with a straight traler axle. Which I probably wont ever do. In my case there is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Jeepgod, can you take a couple of measurments for me? I need to know how deep the tub is from the top before it angles in on the sides. the angle of the sides and then how far down to the bottom. Other than that I think I have about everything figured out. Jeep go look here for your manual m416 manual
Old 05-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Old Hand

done is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jeep Trailer Mailing List

Here's a mailing list were we swap information on all variations of the Jeep trailers - be they WWII - Civilian - or M416's

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/BantamTrailer/
Old 05-05-2003, 08:26 AM
Veteran

InfantryYJ is an unknown quantity at this point

M416 Manual Try clicking on the PDF link,.....it wouldn't work for me.

Also, I know where there is one M416 waiting to be bought, it'll probably go for around $200-300.

Here's a couple of shots of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement