desert camo paint pattern - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast

jeepsteve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default desert camo paint pattern

Okay, I'm not trying to be a dork but I have been tossing around paint schemes for the last year while working on the frame off of my CJ5. I have seen every combination possible driving around the coast. As a result, I have considered doing the jeep in a camo pattern and really like the low-luster desert pattern. Does anybody have any thoughts on this... no, I'm not former military or reservist, I am also aware that CJ5's are not military and that my 1974 would never have had a "desert" pattern if it was... I just want it to stand out and be different. I was also hoping someone may have a suggestion where to find a good pattern when I do paint it. The only website I've found with patterns doesn't cover jeeps and isn't currently working. Thoughts and comments would be welcomed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2003, 02:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: desert camo paint pattern

What do you need?

I am a sniper instructor and camouflage expert. I have camouflaged from rifles to trycks FOR REAL WAR.

The pattern is easy and the paint can be bought at WALL MART.
You paint the car in tan colour and then paint the pattern
YOU CAN SELECT two different patterns:
1. dessert camo
2.- the new 3-colour dessert camo.

Number 1 is just more fashionable and DOES NOT REALLY WORK WELL. It was selected by the General (which name is withhold) because it was "sexy" ( really TRUE)
Number 2 is much better camo

Depends of what you want to do just get a "look" or really camouflage the car.

Eduardo
www.cybersniper.com [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Enthusiast

well, I'm not really sure how 'sexy' I can make a CJ5, I guess the look is more important than the function. I guess I need the basics on the first or original pattern. As an aside, would this be considered in poor taste under the current world situation? I'm not trying to make a statement regarding our ongoing military operations, just looking for a novel paint scheme for the beast.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Donīt be worried about the current situation....I live in Spain and my flat green Jeep carries a big MARINES sticker !!! That is stating with a colour squeme !!
No problem yet

If you need the colours at WAL-MART they sell KRYLON CAMO paint that has in the back the full list for all the camo schemes.
That KRYLON paint is AWESOME so it is perfect for spraying the small patches over the tan basic colour. With a few brown and green and then two black and whites you will have enough .
Ed
Old 04-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Ed. should I just paint a random pattern or is there an accepted style to the camo? I've seen lots of variations between countries.... but not sure about an actual pattern?

This site actually had quite a bit on older camo patterns http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_camo.php3

Old 04-21-2003, 04:41 PM
Pooh-Bah

cj5_pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are looking for an unusual or standout camo pattern, you might try Alaskan Winter Camo:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1083895-h5.jpg (17.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-21-2003, 04:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Send me a private email and I will send you two pictures of camoed cars
ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1083899-hummer.jpg (23.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 04-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

knifeboy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

First off don't worry about the anti-war people hating your vehicle, they won't be able to see it. Secondly I'm a fan of the solid olive drab with a big white star on the sides and hood. Just remember when doing this too that it'll be a lot harder to sell after you paint it camo if you ever plan on selling it. Also keep in mind that the military puts huge reflectors on the rear of their camo vehicles because a lot of driver truly have problems seeing them on the roadways. Take a look at the rear of any military truck and you'll see huge red and yellow reflectors usually on the mud flaps or somewhere near. You may want to think about extra reflectors of some kind. Just my two cents, but I think it would look cool in any camo scheme.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:48 PM
Pooh-Bah

Here is one camo scheme I almost painted my '74 CJ5 before I decided to stay with blue....

I'm still trying to figure out how to do the shark's teeth though.... [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I've always liked the colors on the British "Rangoon" Camo the AVG used on the P-40s. I just think it looks sharp.

What do you expect from a guy with a Robert L. Scott "God is my Co-Pilot" bumpersticker? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Pooh-Bah

One other idea for you. Years ago before everything could be bought in camo, my father and I used to bow hunt (re-curves). We did our own camo by first painting the bows a base color, then laying ferns and leaves over them and spraying another color. Repeat with however many colors. Makes a cool looking camo with unique patterns. Warning pull the ferns/leaves off immedieatly, don't let them set there while the paint hardens. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.