bent leaf spring - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2003, 11:04 PM
ODgreen

Default bent leaf spring

I have 4" superlift springs on my cj7 And i just recently bent the passenger side rear spring up by the military wrap i think i only bent the main spring. I bent it on the stationary frame mount. now my tires are out of alignment big time. How do i fix? can i? I live in a remote town 6 hours away from anchorage and i dont make it there very often can i fix it myself? Maybe put in a hydralic press or beat on it. Is anyone familiar with superlifts warantys can they sell me just a main spring? any info on bent leaf springs would be greatly apreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2003, 11:43 PM
Addict

4x401CJ5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: bent leaf spring

I would call Superlift and see if they`ll sell you the main spring. They`ll probably want to sell you a whole new
spring. Your not going to be able to fix it yourself. You might try to find a spring shop localy. They could
possibly help you. I know, you said you were remote, its just a thought.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-01-2003, 06:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Olin18 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think if I were you I would get a whole new spring. Even if the main spring is the only one that looks bad, it may not be. And if you replace it, and the other springs are not holding their own, then you may be faced with the same problem down the road. If you lived somewhere that you could just get a spring around the corrner, then I would say go cheep. But it is probably worth it to not have to make the 6 hour drive twice. Maybe if you call the company they will agree to give you a deal on a new spring... They should not bend like you reported.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:49 PM
Pooh-Bah

cj5_pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

OD, sorry I don't know of a closer spring outfit than Anchorage. However, you might just give Alaska Spring there a shout. They are good people and should be able to at least give you some good advice. (They did my spring re-arch/add-a leaf and replaced one of my main leafs and I've dealt with them for over 10 years...my father's been dealing with them since '83)

Talking to Superlift first would be the best bet. I don't think there is much you can do at a home shop to fix a bent spring. I'm pretty sure it's a take it to the shop or replace it kind of thing.

Oh, you might call Northern 4x4 and see if anyone has a spare superlift 4" spring pack laying around for a CJ7. They do a lot of biz and might be willing to ship it to valdez for you.

Good luck with it!
Old 04-02-2003, 07:25 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Just a few days ago I straightened a leaf spring. It is a stock '78 CJ7 front with factory HD suspension. It has a secondary main leaf that is below the main leaf and wraps loosely around the eyes. Those two leaves were bent about a third of the way from the axel to the rear eye. The bend had those leaves raised about an inch above the rest of the spring pack, which was not damaged.

I just put it in the press, supported about three inches either side of the bend, and pumped down on it. The third try, going a little farther each time, had the bend almost completely removed. I decided to stop there rather than go farther and risk putting a backwards bend in the rest of the spring pack.

Had the bend not come out I would have disassembled the pack, but fortunately that was not necessary. No problem.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Olin18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Although it is true that you can bend a spring back. Metal has a tendency to bend again after damage has been done. There will be a weak spot in the spring pack. And although fixing it is great, and perhaps it will never bend again. If it were me, and I lived a 6 hours from the shop.. 12 hour round trip. I think I would just go with a new spring, and save yourself the chance of future headacks. But that is Just my opinion
Old 04-02-2003, 08:05 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

In this case, replacement is probably the best choice, especially since it sounds like the damage is right around the eye. Not only will it be more difficult to straighten, but it will recieve more stress to boot.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:12 PM
ODgreen

Good news my dad had to make a emergency trip to anchorage this week so i quick ran and put the jeep on blocks and dissasembled the spring pack. I gave him the spring and adress to Alaska spring which i previously called and made arangments with (very nice people by the way, very helpful)
The fixed it for $14.50 and it took them about 45 minutes. sweet huh!

Thanks cj5pilot for the tip on alaska spring
Old 04-05-2003, 01:35 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

knifeboy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to kinda laugh at that. I thought Macomb, IL was in the middle of nowhere but you have proven me wrong. Its always good when you get things fixed.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:47 AM
Pooh-Bah

cj5_pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Great! I'm glad they were able to help. Yep, they sure are great people. BTW, if you get up towards they valley this summer, let me know. Maybe we can go wheeling....or maybe I can run down your way sometime!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement