how warm should the rear differential get? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2003, 08:23 AM
Veteran

80cj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how warm should the rear differential get?

i just noticed a new noise yesterday. it is not a really a grinding (bearing) noise, sounds more like the rumbling that the tires make, but it is not the tires. it is coming from the back somewhere. i thought that maybe it was in the diff so i felt it and it felt really warm. never really felt it before so not sure if that is normal or not. anyone shed some light on this? there is nothing leaking from it, but i guess i can break it open and check it.

thanks all
shawn
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2003, 08:33 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of
Default Re: how warm should the rear differential get?

The diff can get really hot. NASCAR racers have oil coolers and driveshaft-driven pumps. And gear oil is good into the 250* range.

On the highway in warm weather it can get well past the point where you could hold your hand on it.

The rumbling is more likely to be an axel bearing. Differential bearings are darn reliable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-19-2003, 09:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i agree probably axle bearing. want it to run a little cooler after ya fix it run synthetic lube in it. easier on the bearing too.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Veteran

any way to tell which side is bad? i know that ideally i should do both anyway. but don't really have the time for that right now.

thanks all
shawn
Old 03-19-2003, 10:58 AM
Addict

4x401CJ5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pull the tire off each side. Grab the axle flange and move it up and down or front to back. If you have any
movement, Say more than a few thousanths, The bearing may be bad. The most telling way though is to
grab the axle flange and turn it by hand and feel for roughness, There should`nt be any. It should roll nice
and smooth.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:32 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

You can also lift the wheels off the ground, put the transmission in top gear and let the engine idle. Then put a stethoscope or a hardwood dowel or a screwdriver against the hub, right behind the backing plate. Put your thumb on the end of whatever stick you use, and your ear against the back of your thumb. The stick will transmit the noise right to your ear.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:09 AM
Veteran

thanks all, i will check it out tonight.

shawn
Old 03-20-2003, 10:21 AM

JUST TO CLARIFY:

You should put the knuckle of your thumb aginst the bone right behind your ear - not into the ear canal. That bone works fine at transmitting sounds into the inner ear, and it's a lot sturdier than the outer ear. If something slips and hits something that's moving, you don't want your thumb, or anything else, to get jammed into your ear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement