Running a winch with no controller??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-1999, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Running a winch with no controller???

I have a Warn winch that I got off of a friend, but he lost the controller.... Is there any way to run the winch forward and reverse without the risk of shorting out any solenoids or the motor? The winch has the newer 3-prong connection...

Steve

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-1999, 01:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Running a winch with no controller???

Why don't you just buy a new controller?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-15-1999, 01:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You are able to hard wire a switch to the solenoid pack using 3 wires. I am planning on doing this with my Warn 12000 (front), and Ramsey 5000 pro(rear). I have the info at home. Let me know if you don't get the info and I will email you later.

Brian "A4x4jeeper"
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
http://www.jerseywheelers.org/
Old 10-15-1999, 02:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

DRM is an unknown quantity at this point

I got tired of my Ramsey control box plug not working right, so I hard-wired a switch into the cab of my truck. If you pull the cover off the solenoid pack, and short wires across the prongs for the plug, you will be able to quickly see which wires control what. Once you know this, just either hard wire a switch to this or find a generic plug disconnect to hook it up. Really easy to do.

One of the benefits of having the controller in the cab is that you don't have to dig through the tool box for when you need it - and this really helps you get out of those "hairy" situations that much faster.

David
Davids 4x4 Page
Old 10-15-1999, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a Warn XD800i winch,with the three pin connector and don't have a clue to how to operate it without the controller.
I ran over my original cord and just spliced it back together matching color for color of the wires (I did order and buy and new one).
Kept the original as a backup. Why don't you just get a new controller, heck you got the winch for free?

My third Wrangler: 99 Sahara (desert sand)
Old 10-15-1999, 07:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Warn wants $60 bucks for the remote I think I really like the idea of hard wired switches in the cab!! I think I'm going to go that way, and I bet it won't cost $60

Thanks

Old 10-15-1999, 10:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

DRM is an unknown quantity at this point

yep, hard wiring is the way to go.

I actually had a spare controller I used in the cab. I have approx. 6 foot of cable from the center of the cab that lets me hand the controller over to the passenger, or stand just outside the window and control the winch.

Another friend used a basic toggle switch mounted in an overhead console to the full cage of his YJ.

Both work well, and both are cheaper than $60[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

David
Davids 4x4 Page
Old 10-16-1999, 09:00 AM
Addict

ChrisM is an unknown quantity at this point

On my M8000 the 3 prong connector was rusted out and broken. I still had the remote but replaced the connector with a three prong stainless XLR microphone connector. Fit perfectly. So you could probably just get some XLR connectors, some wire, a toggle switch, and fabricate some sort of handle to put it all on and have a remote for about $5.
Somewhere I have a wiring schematic of the basic early warn winch design (M5000,M8000). I'll look for it and post it when I find it.

'79 CJ-7
Old 10-16-1999, 01:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only thing that I'm worried about is putting a jumper across the wrong two contacts and frying the motor or solenoid pack. The contacts are in a triangle shape... I would think that the top contact is the common one and the two bottom contacts determine forward and reverse... Am I wrong??? I really want to see if this thing works.

Steve
'94 YJ Sahara

Old 10-16-1999, 02:00 PM
Pooh-Bah

Brownbagg is an unknown quantity at this point

a lot of people who run mud install the solinoid pack under the hood with the switch hard wired on the dash, that way the throttle can be operated while using the winch. Only thing needed is a single pole double throw switch with a momentarity throw. The solinoid cannot be shorted out they are doing there job with a warn control or hard wired they know no differents. I got mine hard wired because I do not like getting my feet wet. passanger pulls cable

brownbagg </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement