Gas in my oil....possible engine damage? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2003, 11:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Gas in my oil....possible engine damage?

Hello all...it's been a long time since I've been in this neck of the woods. This forum has come a long way...

I have had an aftermarket TBI kit on my CJ/360 for a year now with no problem. I just recently went away for 3 weeks and when I returned the jeep would not start.

While I was gone (according to my neighbor) the jeep was making "weird noises, mannnn." Turns out the fuel pump had been intermitently presurizing the system (every hour or so) on it's own with the ignition off.

Anyhow, long story short, I lost about 5 gallons of gas that flooding into the TBI and then soaked down into the engine somehow before the battery died.

I did not realize this until I attempted to pull start the jeep. When I got it started it began spitting oil out the dipstick and oil fill hole.

I shut it down right away and parked it. When I drained the oil there was about 2 gallons of gas that came out mixed in with it.

It was only running for about a minute this way and I dont think I have anything to worry about but I wanted some other opinions.

-Nate
San Diego, CA

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2003, 12:28 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gas in my oil....possible engine damage?

1. Could damage have happened?
2. Yes, which leads to,
3. What's the chance that it was damaged?
4. It ran a minute...without blowing up, that's a plus!
5. What was the "oil" pressure at that time?
6. IF you didn't hear any knocking...
7. I'd vote it's OK.
8. Did the removed oil have any debris in it, besides the gas?
9. Change the oil and filter...
10. Repressurize the system by cranking the oil pump manually,
11. Then start 'er up...
12. It's the only way to tell...then change your oil/filter again....
13. By the way, what Aftermarket EFI were you using?
14. I'm surprised the fuel pump would be runing if the ingition was off...
15. Or a wiring error, or fuel pump relay sticking...
16. The ECM should kill the pump if the ignition's off.
17. You may be looking at larger problems...
18. That was one unusuall problem! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-26-2003, 12:45 AM
BigUgly

I agree with LEVE, there may be a bigger problem here. But, with the oil change I would put something like Restore in with the oil. I had a friend that smelled gas in his oil and changed it right afterward and found out that mech fuel pump was leaking in the block. He changed the pump and the oil, but, after a week he checked the oil and it smelled like gas again. Checking the level there was no gas in there this time, but, he changed the oil again. about 3k miles later it still smelled like gas. So, even after the problem has been corrected you may still smell the gass on the dipstick for awhile. L8r,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2003, 01:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree I am lucky the damn didn't blow up! I did't look at the oil pressure guage so I'm unsure of the reading at the time. No knocking. It actually sounded perfectly fine.

Changed the oil and filter. No debris. Just a lot of gas! I pulled the EFI last weekend, it was a Holley Commander 950 by the way. There was definitley something up with the ECU. I thoroughly went over the wiring and everything looked perfect. Even though it ran great (before my recent issues) I am putting a carb back on it. It's was fun learning to program the fuel maps and having so much control but I never did trust it. Gas mileage wasn't that much better...

I haven't called Holley yet. Their support team is pretty good if you have the patience to wait on hold for 30 minutes. Thanks for your input.

-Nate
San Diego, CA
Old 02-26-2003, 08:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Olin18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any time you get anything in the motor that is not suposed to be there it is a good Idea to change the oil, and filter, Run it a short time, then change it again to make srue that you got all the junk out.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:26 AM
Addict

MNT is an unknown quantity at this point

I had this happen when I had mt 73 240Z. I didn't have the benefit of a neighbor, it happened while I was driving and I didn't find out until too late. The motor was toasted (but very clean inside) had to get the enging rebuilt.

With the amount of time yoy had on yours you are probably ok.

Change the oil, run a bit, change the oil and filter again.

G'luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement