Fuel Injection fuel line - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2003, 07:02 PM
Veteran

86CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Injection fuel line

Is it OK to use rubber fuel line on a high pressure fuel injection setup? I am using a GM TBI and a pump that will supply 25LBs of pressure.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2003, 07:28 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

TiminMb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fuel Injection fuel line

Sounds like the project is coming along?

Use only Fuel injection hose where hose is needed between the steel lines and the engine (for flex). The fuel injection hose is made for the higher pressures which the system runs at and the higher pressures that could develop if a problem with the pump or regulator occurs. You have to assume the worst case scenario. That pump can deliver a lot of fuel so it is to be regarded with caution.

I'd recommend the highest degree of caution in all lines under pressure with fuel injection. Use 3/8 steel line with flared ends to connect the hose. The stock 1/4 return line should suffice. At the tbi, you can use fuel line repair lines, which are short steel lines having the saginaw o-rings ends that go into the tbi and a flare made to retain a hose on the other end. These are about $8.00 each at the auto parts store.

Special fuel injection line clamps are also available at the parts store. They are not the screw type clamps, as those can cut into the hose. These clamps are made with a smaller range of size of hose they fit, but they apply more even pressure.

You can get fuel filters that are designed for fuel injection and can be placed after the pump. There are chevy truck ones that have 3/8 female flare end fittings. I used a fuel injection filter, but I used one with male fitting and placed it before the pump. I prefer to see less connections under pressure. Also, filtering before the pump might be good for the pump.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

TiminMb is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a very rough draft, but hopefully contains some usefull information. Please don't post it to any web site, as it's not finished or proof read.

Attached Files
File Type: doc 1027051-Megasquirt Fuel Injection on a 258 AMC.doc (73.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-15-2003, 10:38 PM
Veteran

86CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys. BYW, I scored a throttle body today at a local junk yard. It is off a 89 Cadillac Deville with a 4.5l V8. Got all of the wires and sensors and it is in good shape. All I need now is two 5.7ohm 25W resistors and a relay board.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:01 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

ricochet is an unknown quantity at this point

With a throttle body fuel injection system you DO NOT NEED the expensive fuel lines. Run aluminum line for most of it (can get a roll of it from summit for $25) then use regular rubber fuel line for the rest. The tbi only runs at 15 psi, which a regular cheap gas line can handle. The more expensive line is for higher psi like 65psi. There is a huge price difference between the regular fuel line and the other stuff. Just trying to save some green.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:57 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

IN2DEEP is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not a fan of the aluminum line. I used 3/8 aluminum line for my efi setup, but I want to change it out for steel. It's just too flexible. I might be a little "heavy handed", but for my money get the steel, put it where you want it, and it'll stay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement