Whats the BEST floor transmission jack out there?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2003, 01:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Whats the BEST floor transmission jack out there??

The last 2 times I pulled my nv4500 I've used the transmission jack from the local tool rental place. Well I've about had my last time with their [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] tranny jack!!

That thing has these cheapass brackets that slide onto all four beams (like a big plus sign that the tranny rests on) and they're supposed to hold the damn thing from moving whilst you work the tranny back in.

Man, last night the whole freakin tranny (with atlas II & bellhousing fell off while trying to work it in. 2 times!!! ARRRGH!!! I was so mad!!! Never finished last night, that was after 5 hours straight of trying to get that thing back in.

I'm in the market for a good not too heavily priced Tranny Floor Jack. I'm open to suggestion and recommendations!!

And anecdotes!! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Because misery loves company and right about now I'm aching from yesterday.. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Fearing coming home tonight to finish the job [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Can't Get Enough

jfralph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats the BEST floor transmission jack out there??

I don't know anything about brands, but try chaining the tranny to the jack. I installed mine twice with just my floor jack and some brackets I fabbed to hold the tranny in place. Of course, the tranny was chained to the jack. My set-up was lighter than yours however, mine consisted of the T-19 and D-300.

Good luck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Journeyman

ace2222 is an unknown quantity at this point

i purchased my jack from northern tools for around $300 it sounds alot like the one you used but mine has a chain that goes over the entire tranny and then screws on tight..
Old 02-03-2003, 05:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ozarkjeep is an unknown quantity at this point

before I had a welder, I made a bas out of wood, then strapped the tranny to it, it was little cheapy floor jack.

that worked great!

I rented a large "profesional" trans jack once also, with the same result, I didnt rent it again
Old 02-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

Floor Jack? You don't need no stinkin' Floor Jack... save your mone and your back.

If this works for you... send me a check!

Here's my laundry list of how I pull my TF999 and Dana300 alone, Just modify it for your application.......Have the vehicle resting up in the air... I use jackstands on the back and have the front tires on ramps. This gives you plenty of room to work.

1. Remove the shift knob.
2. Remove the transmission tunnel cover.
3. Remove tht transmission dipstick tube hold down to firewall.
4. Put a jackstand under the Transfer case Yoke to suppor the drive train.
5. Remove the transmission skid plate.
6. Remove the kickdown assembly at the transmission.
7. Remove the shift linkage at the transmission.
8. Remove the speedometer cable.
9. Remove the wiring to the transmission.
10. Remove the cooler lines.

Buy some 1/4" cable and and cable clamps and a cheap come-along, I'd suggest 12 feet of cable.

Make up a cable and thread it over both frame rails and UNDER the back of the transfer case. Clamp the cable ends and now you can remvoe the jackstand and have plenty of room to work.

Lay a 2X4" from the roll bar to the windshield frame. Laying with the 3.75" up, attach the come-along to the wood. Use the remaining cable to make go from the come-along down through the tunnel and wrap around the front of the transmission. You'll actually see a couple of ears just behind the bellhousing that work fine to loop the cable through.

11. Make a 2nd cable to suppor the rear of the engine or put a small floor jack under the rear of the engine supported by the pan with a block of wood between the pan and the jack. I prefrer a cable and then I'm free to work.
12. Remove the starter.
13. Remove the front driveline from the transfer case.
14. Remove the back driveline fromt he transfer case.
15. Wire the free drive line ends of the frame rails to get them out of the way.
16. Remove the transmission pan and drain the transmission. This can be messy so be prepared.. and do a NEAT job. Less to clean up that way.
17. Remove the Torque Converter access sheild at the bottom of the transmission.
18. MARK the Flexplate and TC relationship (I use spray paint.).
19. Remove the Torque Converter bolts.
20. Remove ALL bellhousing to engine bolts. Don't forget the two pesky ones at the top.
21. Use a srewdriver or crowbar to seperate the engine/transmisision.
22. Move the transmisson/transfer case to the rear. You may wan to use a floor jack at the transfer case yoke as support and remove the cable.
23. Remove the Torque Converter. Remember it's full of ATF and is heavy.
24. Lower the front of the transmission to the floor.
25. Lower the rear of the transfer case to the floor.
26. Drag out the assembly and divorce the two units.

27. Reinstall it simply the reverse.
28. I would also suggest using some 3/8"X9" threaded rod
29. Secure these rods into the engine block.
30. Then use the come-along to raise the transmission and transfer case to the rods.
31. Simply push the assembly foward onto the rods.
32. Use some washers and nuts to secure the transmission
33. Now use the nuts to tighen the transmisision to the engine.
34. Put couple of other bolts in and then remove the threaded rod.

Simple as pie!
Old 02-03-2003, 06:07 PM
Official Curmudgeon

CJ7Taz is an unknown quantity at this point

If I were going to rent something for an NV4500 and D300, it would be an engine hoist.

I'll be doing the same thing soon. I've got a big floor jack, professional size. The pad comes off and leaves a hole about an inch and a half. I'm figuring on using a piece of channel (probably 10" jr channel), toes up, with a short piece of pipe welded in the center to fit into the hole in the jack. I may cut some 1/4" plate to fit the contour across the bottom of the tranny and weld them across the channel. If I feel the need, I may even make a couple holes so that I can run bolt up through the tranny mounting holes to stabilize it further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement