CJ: quick ? - battery disconnect switch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Addict

fullygruntled is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CJ: quick ? - battery disconnect switch

The switch is very simple... two terminals. I assume you just put it inline. The question, then, is where is the ideal placement to prevent bettery drain and assure nobody will start it without the switch engaged? Off the positive or negative, or somewhere else completely?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2003, 05:10 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

TiminMb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CJ: quick ? - battery disconnect switch

Good question. I do know that the battery terminal disconnect I bought was made to be installed on the ground terminal. I believe yuo are talking about a different style of disconnect, a real switch, like NHRA requires. I really like the ability to kill power with the spin of a knob when I am working on the engine or wiring. It has a blade style fuse bridged accross it, in order that you may limit power to the fuse capacity, in order that you may keep the clock or other essential running, but disable the starter or other large current draw that will blow the fuse. I of course pull hte fuse as well if I am working on wiring. No point blowing a fuse. Easy to reset the clock.

Either ground or positive should acheive the results you want. When working on a vehicle they tell you to disconnect ground (first). I assume that's because ground is prevalently exposed and uninsulated. Little risk of a wrench on the ground terminal coming to harm unless it touches the other post.

I'd connect your switch as close to the battery as possible. But is there an advantage in disconnecting ground instead of positive? Would this scenario be reversed on a British car with the chassis positive??? Hope to hear some learned thoughts on this subject. I apologize if I've wasted your time with my reply.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-17-2003, 07:45 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

1. The best place is closest to the battery...
2. There's less wiring to run that way.
3. You mention two things:
a. Battery drain.
b. Theft protection.
4. IMHO... there are better ways to avoid these problems than a cut off swtich.
a. Hood locks and single/multiple device kill switches.
b. Battery minders to avoid current total current drain.
5. These devices do as good of a job, with less potential of problems.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Olin18 is an unknown quantity at this point

The best theft protection I have ever head of is a simple kill switch to the fuel pump. Just simply mount the switch somewhere hidden. With it disconnected they pump wont pump. And even if someone gets your jeep running it will run out of gas in short order.
I have always wanted to do this, but have never taken the time to find the correct wires.
The battery switch is a great Idea too. And would be very handy when working on the Jeep.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:40 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

jps4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought ground a cable that has a small lever on the terminal it's self. It tightens the terminal and with a flick of the little lever, it comes off the battery. Very handy (and cheap) way to disconnect the battery. I wish it was a little tighter on the post but I have not had any problem with it over the last 2 or 3 years. It has a very heavy duty cable with a clear coating, looks kinda cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.