?'s replacing valve cover gasket - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2003, 02:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default ?\'s replacing valve cover gasket

I have a plastic valve cover.(1986 cj7 258) What is the torque sequence and how much torque? I have the oem replacement foam/rubberry gasket. Do I need to use any type of sealant when installing or just the gasket? Any other recommendations of what to look for when replacing gasket. To all who will tell me to get a cast cover- I only have a small leak in front cover and am waiting for 4.0 head upgrade in the future.

John G
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2003, 04:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: ?\'s replacing valve cover gasket

Right from the 3rd edition of the Mopar Jeep Engines book: "Install and tighten the cylinder head cover bolts to 8 Nm (70 in-lbs) torque" - no sequence is given, and at such low torque, I'd just zig-zag across the head. But that's just me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-04-2003, 05:22 PM
cj80carr

I have had a plastic one on mine now for a couple years with no leaks that might be a record . My old one was warped from the previous owner tightening the nuts on top too tight, causing the cover to bulge . I wanted to go with an aluminum one but do to a tight budget i got one from 4wd. I used that sponge rubber gasket that it came with at first it lasted about two months before it was leaking. Its like the gasket became saturated with oil and began seeping all over. I hate doing things over so i got the old fashioned thick cork one.I cleaned the head good with carb cleaner and put down a light smear of black rtv let it set up a bit laid down the gasket and put the cover on snug down the top nuts just hand tight. on the manifold side you have some studs that the kit gives you nuts and a fat washer thing . I put on a couple more on the remaining studs i had using regular washers and nuts.start from the middle and work your way out tightening them. The trick is just snug them down lightly and let it set up over night. hope this helps Bob !
Old 01-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

Siege_A,

1. Welcome to the forum.
2. Thanks for filling out your user profile:
3. Read the New Posters Message at the top of the forum.
4. Participate! Two brains are better'n one!
5. OK... now explaine the name...
6. Siege is "Victories" in German...
7. Unless you mis-spell it and the Seige is "Goat"
8. But enough Trivia.
9. You're correct about the torque setting.

Homer,

10. I've found that to get the pesky plastic valve cover to seal:
a. Clean both mating surfaces VERY well.
b. After cleaning, I wipe down the area with alcohol.
c. Use RTV, or Permatex Gasket Goo (your choice) on both sides of the gasket.
d. Let it "skin" over.
e. After about 5 minutes skinnng... put the cover on the head.
f. Tighten the bolts as Ziegie described..
h. You'd better have a 1/4" accurate torque wrench for this job!
i. If you start to see the cover deform...
j. STOP.
k. If it deforms... it leaks.
l. DON'T over tighten.
11. Now wait 24 hours before you start the engie.
12. You've got to get that goop to cure.
13. Then if you're still leaking look for and OEM Engine Cylinder Head Cover Kit - Part number 8983 503 343.
14. They're scarcer than hen's teeth but worth it...
15. Not a drop of oil in the 8 years one's been on my CJ.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: LEVE

1) Seige does have an English meaning
2) Say my whole name outloud, fast - get it?
3) It's a good pun, Siege (A) Engine didn't sound right, although medieval

4) Glad to be here.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:22 PM
bluewater

I am reading from the instructions for the replacment of the valve cover gasket from a company called McCord, part # CV1096CE. It says the front and back bolt is torqued to 50in/lbs and the top ones through the cover are torqued to 30 in/lbs. It says to start the two end bolts finger tight then touque the cent bolts to 30 in/lbs then finish off the end bolts at 50 in/lbs. It is presumed here that you have "locating pins" on the side rather than bolts. It also says that you will see a certain amount of distortion in the cover and that it is normal (I have seen this in mine). Hope this helps if you have any questions, contact me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement