Easiest alternator to turn into a welder?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2002, 03:49 PM
Addict

timCsjeep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Easiest alternator to turn into a welder??

Ive been doing a lot of reading and searching on on-board welders. Im making some bumpers and i have everything tack welded in with a little welder i have but I need to burn the welds in with something big. So i thought why not an on-board welder?

Here is the question: What is the easiest alternator to stick onto my 258 and turn into a welder? I have a power steering pump, air pump (for the emissions), and an alternator on there right now. I still haven't figured out where or how to mount it. And the more i search the more i get confused on just what kind of alternator in what mounting location will give me the least beef with the best return.

Thanks for your help. I know this has been beat into the ground already but i really cant find what i am looking for. God Bless- Tim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2002, 04:46 PM
Addict

CJ money pit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Easiest alternator to turn into a welder??

I have been kinda thinking the same thing. Believe the best candidate is the older Ford ones; 120ish amp output and externally regulated. I have thought about rigging a bracket and putting it in place of my airpump, and make it easy to switch back when it is emmisions time.

Max
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-28-2002, 06:22 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

Give Kutyafal an PM or drop him an Email at: t.molnar@home.com... he's been toying with a homede one for a year or so now...

Old 12-28-2002, 11:06 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

ExtinctJeep is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I understand, the best alt to use is a Leece Neville, but you'd have to build your own mounts.

These are very strong high output units that have easy to mod rectifiers.

Fritz
Old 12-28-2002, 11:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is a link: Trailhed.com. He talks about alternator types, mounting, and controls.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:14 PM
Addict

timCsjeep is an unknown quantity at this point

From tailhead.com's write up on welding alternators "NOTE: The alternators that I am using have the diodes built in so the output voltage is rectified to DC voltage from AC voltage. An alternator by itself puts out only AC voltage and is not the best choice for welding purposes. You need to use DC voltage to get the best results."

I understand the ideas behind chaning the current from AC to DC but i am getting confused with the diodes and the voltage regulator. How do i tell the two apart? And how do i make sure i disconnect the regulator but not the diodes. It still just a bit blurry... [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]-Tim
Old 12-29-2002, 11:08 PM
Apprentice

KEG is an unknown quantity at this point

The AC is rectified into DC using 4 Diodes in a bridge configuration. The are connected to one another to form this bridge. They should be fairly easy to pick out as they should look all the same. AC is inputed into this bridge at 2 connections and DC is outputed from 2 other spots. The regulation circuit will be down stream from this bridge. Some vehicles have voltage regulators separate from the alternator. If the regulator is onboard the alternator then, it will be in additional cicuitry down line from the bridge recifier. Hope this helps I haven't looked at alot of alternators but have looked at alot of power supplys. They are the samething but different.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ozarkjeep is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to have a file saved that showed the mod for a GM style alternator, ahhh, Ill look around some more Id like to see it also. IM not sure they used a full wave rectifier bridge, I was thinking 2 Diodes only, but its been a long time since I looked inside a GM or MOtorcraft ALT.

Old 12-29-2002, 11:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ozarkjeep is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally!

this link shows how to convert a GM style alt.
Hopefully the info is relevant, and helpful. if not it was free!

http://www.huv.com/jon/jeep/Welder/on-board-welder.html
Old 12-30-2002, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast

M38 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks also for the links I may try one too.

clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement