68 CJ5 225 V6 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-1999, 01:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default 68 CJ5 225 V6

I am in the process of rebuilding my 68 CJ5. I have tons of questions. It is in great shape, but I still am going to do a total frame off
project. This is what I have planned so far.
Rebuild the motor-New power disc brakes-Power Steering-Custom Paint-Wiring Harness.

I have never done a project like this before and have no Idea where to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. I need all the
help I can get.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-1999, 01:30 AM
Can't Get Enough

WalterX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 68 CJ5 225 V6

Tom,

You might want to narrow down your question. Volumes could be written from that question. The first thing to do could be to educate yourself about jeeps and their interchangeability. This will come in handy when doing upgrades or just part replacement. Go to Barnes & Noble and look through their automotive section. There's alot of good info there. Good Luck

Walt

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-18-1999, 07:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

GeeAea is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, the very talented people on this board need to know your ultimate intent .........with a "down to the frame" redo and rebuilds and such you're looking at spending some money ...... do you want to go over the same ground twice?
As far as the engine ....... you'll want to upgrade the oil pump and go to an HEI ( I believe one from a Buick 3800 will work) If you want something real novel ...... go find an aluminum V6 or even an aluminum V8 (both rather rare)..... both are buicks ......just like the one you have.
Check out this site for the oil pump info http://home.earthlink.net/~fsro/oilpump.html

GeeAea

Old 10-19-1999, 03:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Tim is an unknown quantity at this point

HEI for 225 must come from a '75, '76 or early '77 Buick 231. In mid year '77, Buick switched to the even-fire 231 and the HEI on these motors aren't compatible with the earlier 231 & 225 odd-fire motors. Buick did make the 215 ci aluminum V-8 in the early 60's. It provided less power than the 225 V-6, so rights and tooling was sold to Rover. It would require some hacking to accomodate the additional two cylinders. The only aluminum V-6 I'm aware of is a very costly special order Chevy 4.3L. The best bang for the buck, in this case would be a '79 or newer rebuilt 231 with the redesigned tall port heads. Thanks for the site reference for the rebuilt oil pumps. Quite a savings over TA Performance's high performance, (not high volume), oil pump.

Tim Bothwell
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8

Old 10-19-1999, 07:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If the 68 CJ5 has any resemblence to the 65 you could probably fit a V12 in it (well ..with a little work) ...... the "Dauntless" V6 (the 225) is almost lost inside the engine compartment (this may actually be an illusion due to the lack of "attachments" to the motor giving the whole engine compartment the impression of room). My local "close to retirement" ex-gas station corner repair shop second generation owner has a 65 CJ5 V6 wasting away on 4 flats......I've tried to buy it off him .......guess I'll have to wait until he closes his last real estate deal and pick it up at the auction his daughter's going to hold.
BTW-Tim (and Tom) ..... I believe CJDave has other sources for those type of pumps ....although I'm not sure if it covers the Buick line ..... it may be limited to the AMCs.
The aluminum V6 .....while I'm not sure of the actual year of manufacture ..... was noteworthy enough for GM to feature it in one of their commercials (a campaine bolstering the new revitalized GM engine line) installed on a rear engined "dune buggy" type vehicle.....and I'm quite certain that it was conspicuously labled Buick Alum V6 (keep in mind that memory is a form of chemical suspension on the cellular level .... and that the mind has a way "filling in the blanks" to make sense- )
I don't know this for fact ..... but I've been told (by my close to retirement second generation corner garage man) that GM sold Kaiser Jeep the Buick V6 and then repurchased it when the gas crunch hit and found need for smaller engines.

GeeAea

Old 10-19-1999, 09:18 AM
Nickmil

You can use the later even-fire HEI (make sure it has a vacuum advance and a four prong module) by
using the odd-fire cap. This is a very common conversion. You may have to grind the intake manifold or
distributor body slightly for clearance. Nickmil.

Old 10-19-1999, 10:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Tim is an unknown quantity at this point

In 1980, Buick debuted the 252/4.1L V-6. It came with an aluminum 4 bbl intake and Quadrajet carb. The block and heads were iron. This engine was available from '80-'84 in various GM cars. Buick's racing division had both Stage I and Stage II engines for off highway purposes only. There were also Stage I and Stage II heads. There were iron stage I & II heads and also, (still available), aluminum Stage II heads, very pricey. To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, the Chevy 4.3L is the only all aluminum V-6 GM made. It too is a very high dollar aftermarket special purchase. Kaiser did buy the rights to the V-6 from Buick and then after AMC took over in '71 sold the tooling back to Buick for '75 debut of 231 V-6.

Old 10-20-1999, 08:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Tim,
You appear to be correct ......the commercail that I refer to did not have "Buick Alum V6" .....it just had Alum. V6 .....the Buick thing was my delusion .....it was my "assumption" (ya-ya-I know what happens when you assume [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) .......since aside from the 'inboard plug GMC ......it was the only V6 that GM (at that time) had ever offered ....at least to my knowledge at that time.......I was obviously in error.
I had a chance to pick up an alum V8 for a $175 w/trans.......didn't have the spare cash at the time. I think it hit the crusher.......such a waste.
GeeAea

Old 10-22-1999, 08:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi, no suggestions really, just that I have a total stock sister to your jeep..What part of the Country do u live. I know a guy who does a trick power steer conversion...Aaron..aaron@brawleyonline.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement