Off Roading Forums banner

Chevy Drivetrain into CJ7 Questions // 350/700r4/?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mattmey 
G
#1 ·
Got my first Jeep last week, the price was right (free) but it needs work and my wife already told me it was hers.

Here are the stats:
82 cj7, 31" BFG's, 258, T176, dana 300
frame is shot (bought a frame from friend for $50)
haven't tried to fire up the motor yet
body maybe salvaged

To make a long story short, she wants an automatic. Now since I am starting from the ground up with a new/used frame I figured on a new drivetrain combo.

I have read up on the 4.3 and 350 swaps but most people are using the dana 300 transfer cases. Why is that? Why couldn't you use the whole drivetrain?

I think the 4.3 are using the np231 and I know that is what is in wranglers.

My intentions aren't to upset the "keep it Jeep" bunch, but I am pretty set on either using a 4.3 or 350 chevy just for the fact that they are cheap and plentiful. My buddy just picked up a 4.3 4x4 s10 at an auction for $50.00. I asked him to find me on too.

Thanks,

Matt

See less See more
#2 ·
One of the biggest reasons I can think of for using the dana 300 over a chevy t-case is, gear driven, shorter, lighter, and decent gear ratio. BUT there are alot of people using the 203/205 combo or just the 205. Probably just personal choice, availability, and cost(adapters can be expensive).

#6 ·
The 700r4/np208 is 17" longer than a T4/d300. I think the T4/d300 is the same length as the T176/d300. About the only jeep it would fit is a sctrambler. You could use a 727 out of an 80s wagoneer and it will bolt to the d300 with no adapters. Many of these came with 360s too.

Or if you get the s10 stuff with the np231, if it has a 23 spline input like a wrangler, the d300 will bolt on with just a clocking ring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.