Removing flexplate/TC from a seized engine???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2002, 07:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

TOM85CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Removing flexplate/TC from a seized engine????

I need to pull a seized 360 today. I was thinking about it, and I can't figure out how I am going to get the torque converter(TC) bolts out. I assume that the engine will come out with the TC connected if I leave them in, but then what do I do? I need some suggestions.

Thanks,
Tom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2002, 08:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

ozarkjeep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Removing flexplate/TC from a seized engine????

I dont see why you couldnt just pull it out, have the converter come out with theengine, and then once its out use a box end wrench to remove the bolts, probably even fit a socket on most of them, be careful putting the torque on that thing tho, rest it on a tire or something so it doesnt roll over and squish your liver!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-08-2002, 09:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you can remove the front grill, you can remove the whole driveline (less driveshafts) in one piece. What kind of vehicle are you pulling it from?

Remove the whole driveline, then remove the t-case, then the tranny - careful not to damage the pump! Then get at the bolts with a box end. The siezed motor may actually work to your advantage by not turning when you try to loosen the bolts.

Oh - and have a cheater pipe handy [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2002, 10:00 AM
Old Hand

Skellator is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you just replacing the motor, or are you using the other drive line stuff for another project?
Do you need the T/C and the Flex Plate (F/P), or can you live with out one or the other?
Old 12-08-2002, 11:43 AM
Journeyman

Loafer409 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on why the engine is siezed, you maybe able to remove the rod caps and then be able to rotate the crank, or. You can remove the engine with the converter attached to the crank, you'll need a lot of room to be able to move the engine forward far engought to disengage the trans input shaft, then start disembling the engine to the point you can rotate the crank.

Good Luck....09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement