roll cage tubing size? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2002, 11:35 AM
toadmcd

Default roll cage tubing size?

This is related to the tubing bender question i posted earlier. Most of the tubing benders I have found in the $300 range only go up to 2". Is a cage made of 2" steel tubing really strong enough for a CJ. Can anyone suggest a bender in that price range that can do bigger than 2".
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2002, 11:44 AM
Veteran

bluseman2a is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: roll cage tubing size?

1) 2" is more than sufficient for a cage.

2) Most custom cages are done with anywhere from 1.75" to 2" with .120 wall. The popular materials are HREW, DOM, and Chromoly (in that order based on expense).

3) The two competitive benders are JD-Squared (model 3) and the Pro-tools 105. You're just not going to find many that will touch them. If cost is your concern, go with the JD2. When I got mine, I did the bender, degree ring, and a set of 180* 1.75" 6.5 CLR dies to my door for $501. You'll have a hard time beating that.

You also need to budget some for a stand.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-04-2002, 05:47 AM
utahjeepr

Default Re: roll cage tubing size?

Ditto on what bluesman said. 1.75" is probably the most common size, some folks like the beefy look of 2". I use 1.75" with some of the less structural pieces being 1.50". I prefer to use the tightest radius bending die available for any given size tubing. Going over 2" is overkill and the cage is gonna look really bulky maybe even a little silly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement