Water in engine oil what to do? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2002, 08:44 PM
Veteran

pbytrailz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Water in engine oil what to do?

Well I was changing the oil pressure sender and noticed that the oil was milky looking, I drained the oil and it deffinetly was mixed with some water. Now I haven't gone wheeling the jeep has just say in the yard so it has to have something to do with when I changed the intake to an edelbrock. I am not sure what it could be.

So I am not sure if this was a one time thing or if water will just get in.

Since the jeep has only been moved for 3 miles max I am hoping there isn't much damage but have no idea to get the rest out and hope there isn't any rust.

Do you think this is going to take a lot of life out of the motor? How can I clean it and prevent it from happening again. motor is an amc 360 thanks Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2002, 08:59 PM
Veteran

Default Re: Water in engine oil what to do?

I just put a holley projection kit on, someone thought this might be gas I am going to look and see if I can figure out if it is gas or water. this is really worrying me since I just got the engine in. mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-27-2002, 09:01 PM
Journeyman

brickisred is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had this happen before, too. Can't really say for sure but I've heard that this will happen when you get a coolant leak into the motor.
Old 11-27-2002, 09:02 PM
Old Hand

in2mud is an unknown quantity at this point

If you didn't drain the radiator before you pulled the intake there would be enough coolent get inside to turn the oil milky.
Its that or the intake gaskets didn't seal up the water ports right or rain got in some how.

Is the coolent level low?
Are you sure the intake gaskets lined up with all the ports correctly?

As far as the oil pull the drain plug and filter off and let it drain overnight. Then get 2 oil filters and enough oil for 2 changes for one change use the cheapest oil & filter you can get. Put on the cheap filter & oil run the motor till operating temp is reached then drain it again and put the good stuff in. Then go for a long drive to get rid of any excess moisture but make sure you have the problem of the water getting in fixed first!
Old 11-27-2002, 09:05 PM
Old Hand

Gas will mix with oil and won't make oil milky. If its milky its water(coolent)
Old 11-27-2002, 09:09 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the info, I just checked the mixture and it isn't like a white milky like water (this used to happen to my axle's all the time) It is really really dark gray.

As far as the intake, it was a vally pan and I took the extra time to make sure all the holes were lined up. And I drained the radiator all the way. On top of this my radiator has been full the whole time and i didnt notice a drop in the fluid.
After smelling the fluid I am 99% sure that it is gas, maybe the holley projection is way 2 rich right now? What do you guys think about it being gas? thanks Mike
Old 11-28-2002, 01:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's a shot in the dark... had the same problem on my CJ7 a year ago... check the PCV valve behind the carb? If its clogged it will do that to the oil. Just a thought [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2002, 07:32 AM
Veteran

The PCV isn't clogged but I just hooked it up the other day, before that there was just a piece of tape over the port. Before I go taking things apart I would like to solve the problem.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:53 AM
Old Hand

Does it have metal flake in the oil? Like a bearing going?
Did you change the oil after hooking up the PCV?
How old is the oil?
How old is the engine?
Was it just rebuilt?
What did the motor look like under the valley pan?

Just trying to get more info and thinking about this one [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2002, 08:05 AM
Veteran

There is no metal in the oil that I saw, the engine was in good shape 70k on it. The oil is about 2 months old but doesn't have many miles on it. the pcv has been disconnected for a few weeks and during that time the engine has been run a little, I just hooked up the pcv because I got the gromet for the edelbrock.

It seems like you guys think the pcv might have had something to do with it, which would be the best case for me I guess. But on my old 258 I had the pcv disconnected and it never did that to the oil. I can take a picture of it tonight but it is just dark brown and smells like gas.
thanks Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement