How does running out of gas effect an engine? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2002, 10:58 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

knifeboy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How does running out of gas effect an engine?

Alright, so I'm a poor college student and I don't know how long I'll be able to pay for gas in my Jeep. My question is, does running out of gas do any damage to the engine? I'm guessing it doesn't, but I really don't know. Thanks for the help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2002, 11:17 PM
Old Hand

Skellator is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How does running out of gas effect an engine?

I've ran many a vehicle out of gas and have had no ill effects. I've ran out in my Jeep 3 or 4 times now (dang sending unit) and it still runs after you gas her up. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It's just an minor inconvenience [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Unless it's raining then it's a PITA [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-21-2002, 11:24 PM
Enthusiast

Iron_Weasel is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, it doesn't do any damage to the engine.

The only thing that you may have to worry about is that if there's any rust or other junk floating around in the tank it may have been picked up and could clog something up the line like the fuel pump or filter.
This isn't very likely to happen, so there aren't any real worries.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:46 AM
Pooh-Bah

cj5_pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Heck, ran out of gas yesterday....the fuel guage doensn't work, and haven't felt like pulling the cluster yet. I didn't run ALL the way out though....as soon as it started spittin and sputtering I pulled over and dropped in the five gallon can I had on the back. I guess as a "poor college student" (boy, I remember them days--lost a lot of weight in college!) you won't be using that option. Running out of fuel in a gasoline engine isn't much of a big deal, though some fuel injected engines do need primed afterwords. In a diesel though, it's a MAJOR PITA! Can't tell you how many times when I was turning wrenches for a living that I'd get a call from an operator that his truck or piece of equipment wouldn't start....I'd get there and find out that he'd run it out of fuel....out came the priming pump!
Old 10-22-2002, 06:29 AM
Addict

jjh40 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you live in a cold climate, you are much more likely to encounter fuel line freeze up if you run low on fuel all the time.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:16 AM
Addict

popazeus is an unknown quantity at this point

running out of gas will damage an electric fuel pump it uses the gas to lube the pump so if you run it dry theres no lube and you'll can burn out the pump.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:13 AM
Addict

Brhino is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was one of those things to avoid doing. On top of the sucking up junk from the bottom of the tank thing, your engine is running lean before it goes out. Running an engine on the lean side is not good for it. I try not to do it, only ran out once in my life. The choice is yours, but I try not to inflict injury when I do not have to. What difference does no money make to running out of gas??? Running out of gas tends to lead to parking tickets, towing bills, late for work etc. Putting a couple bucks in the tank in advance is much cheaper in the long run. You have to put the gas in eventually. I would try minimizing driving before I would run it out of gas. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.