Engine won't shut off - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2002, 11:23 AM
Journeyman

NHCJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine won\'t shut off

Okay, I have a dumb one I can't figure out. I have an 86 cj7 w/4.2, primarily stock engine but w/ the Nutter bypass. I swapped out the battery and cables yesterday and now the engine won't shut off unless I pull the coil wire. It's definitely running and not coughing and sputtering. I know didn't mix up any connections. Is it possible I damaged the starter solinoid hooking up the new battery? Would that make any difference? I found that if I disconnect the wire running from the solinoid to the coil it shuts off normally with the ignition switch but it was wired like that before and worked fine. Will I damage my ignition system running without that connection?
Please help, I'm stuck. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2002, 12:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Engine won\'t shut off

I would say recheck all connections from the Ignition to the Solenoid to the Coil. If everything seems normally which I bet you've already done... Pickup a new Solenoid and see what that does. Make sure you have the Coil wire connected to the right post. Which one did you remove? Will it startup without it removed?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-06-2002, 02:44 PM
Journeyman

Thanks for the advice. I have gone back through all the connections (many times) and according to both manuals I have (Chilton & Haynes), all are correct. I'm pretty sure my issue is the solinoid, I was hoping for some confermation instead of just buying new parts for no reason. Solinoids are cheap but why buy a new one if that's not the problem. The wire I removed from the solinoid connects the small post on the battery side of the solinoid to the positive side of the coil. If I understand it correctly, that lead tells the coil when the engine is or is not running. What's confusing is that it starts, runs, and shuts off fine without this wire, I'm just worried I might cause some damage to the ignition system without it. I wouldn't think the engine should even run without this connection. Maybe I no longer need that connection since I bypassed my computer (Nutter bypass). The only connection at the solinoid I originally messed with was the battery cable. I'll pick up a new solinoid tomorrow and see if that does it.
Old 10-06-2002, 03:57 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

AllLockedUp is an unknown quantity at this point

Where in southern NH are you? I'm in Milford...
Old 10-06-2002, 04:37 PM
Official Curmudgeon

CJ7Taz is an unknown quantity at this point

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I was hoping for some confermation instead of just buying new parts for no reason.

[/ QUOTE ]It's hardly for no reason. If it turns out that the old one is good, you have a spare. If it turns out the old one is bad go buy another for a spare. If it goes bad on a Sunday morning, you'll be glad that you have a spare rather than waiting for the parts store to open.

I keep spares for a lot of the parts on my Jeep. When something goes bad, it's nice to just reach in the cabinet and get one rather than to make a run to the parts store.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:58 AM
Veteran

80cj is an unknown quantity at this point

i had the same problem with my jeep, it was the ignition switch that died. but i didn't know it at the time and i let it set over night with the switch stuck in the 'on' position and it burned up the coil, tach, ignition and seleniod. don't know if this helps.

shawn
Old 10-07-2002, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast

jlove86CJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar problem in my old 58 AFTER I installed the Jacobs Onmi kit. I ended up calling Jacobs and they sent me a diode to install in the coil wire. I ended up removing all the Jacobs crap, and that fixed it. Hope this helps in some small way.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

mbalbritton is an unknown quantity at this point

jlove86CJ,

I had your probelm after installing my MSD, I bought the stupid little diode you're talking about, from radio shack. but mine went in the white wire to the alternator. that fixed my problem. it was because there was so much juice running thru the system that it backcylced and kept the engine running. the diode mad that wire a one way ticket and no more engine run-on.

Becarefull when jerking the coil wire off to kill the engine, I did that and happened to have my leg touching the front bumper and sent all that power from the MSD thru my hand, arm, body, and leg. talk about wandering around gathering your thoughts for the next five minutes [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] If you have a manual tranny, use the Ebrake and stall the engine!!

Old 10-07-2002, 07:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think mbalbritton nailed it. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I had the same problem in my 83 cj7. Mine had a brown resistance wire running to the alt which when replaced with a regular wire caused the run-on problem. I picked up the alt plug at Autozone and a diode from Radio Shack (PN# 276-1144), problem solved. Make sure you install the diode the right way. I dont remember which way is correct and mine is shrink-tubed so I cant check. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Hopefully the guy at RS can tell you.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:29 PM
Journeyman

Thanks for the warning but I've been bitten by my coil wire before so I know about the dazed and confused thing.

[img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement