VIN number location on YJ tub aside from tag - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2002, 02:32 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

TiminMb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VIN number location on YJ tub aside from tag

On an 88 YJ tub, where could I find a vin number aside from the tag on the firewall or if it ever had one on the dash like a cj? Do they stamp or paint them on somewhere else?

I am asking because I want to do a motor vehicle search on the YJ tub I just bought. Want to make sure it wasn't stolen before I put any money into it.

Is there a vin number on the doors? I have those as well?

Thanks,
Tim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2002, 03:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...
jamgood96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: VIN number location on YJ tub aside from tag

I'm pretty sure my YJ's dash has a metal plate on top of it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-17-2002, 03:56 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

All I have is a bare tub with the metal underdash where the speakers mount, etc. No plastic dash left. Wondering if there is a hidden sticker, painted on number, etc.

I know the doors could have been swapped, but do they have a vin on them? I'd like to run the number past motor vehicles to make sure it isn't stolen property.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:19 PM
Addict

rock_monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

there's a little bracket for the vin over the wiper motor, and there's a plate very near the brake booster. both are rivitted
Old 09-17-2002, 05:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try the top of the frame on the passenger side next to the motor. I haven't checked my YJ but I know that the CJs have it stamped there.

Good Luck!
Kriss
Old 09-17-2002, 06:17 PM
Old Hand

Dan 84 CJ-7 is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I know, the only VIN locations on the TUB are the vin plate riveted to the firewall and the vin plate riveted to the tab on the windshield frame. I've never heard of any "secret" vin locations except for the frame.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:04 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I have only the tub and doors. The doors which match the tub in sunset paint scheme (is that the "Islander"?) have a vin # on the jam. The vin shows it as a 91. I have removed the heater box and it has a tag says March 27, 1991. So the doors are likely the originals. The riveted tag on the firewall was removed. I have part of a 93 tub and I can tell you there is a secret vin number inside the tub, passenger side, inside, on the inner surface of the cowl, just after the curve upward of the side of the cowl and it starts to flatten out. It is engraved there and is visible if you remove the heater box beneath the intake grill. I removed everythign I could on this 91 tub and it has no visible vin there. Thought there might be a sticker inside or something.

I will run the vin off the doors past motor vehicles to calm my conscience over the possibility this old tub is stolen. Hopefully it shows the name of the guy I bought the parts from.

Old 09-17-2002, 09:23 PM
Old Hand

Dan 84 CJ-7 is an unknown quantity at this point

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I have part of a 93 tub and I can tell you there is a secret vin number inside the tub, passenger side, inside, on the inner surface of the cowl, just after the curve upward of the side of the cowl and it starts to flatten out.

<hr></blockquote>
I stand corrected. That is interesting. I don't recall seeing that on my '91 Tub either. My tub came from Canada too, maybe that has something to do with it? Or maybe it wasn't started until sometime between 91 and 93. Or maybe we both have stolen tubs with the VIN's removed [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2002, 09:39 PM
Journeyman

CJ_More is an unknown quantity at this point

I just purchased a used 87 YJ Tub, and on the driver side, engine compartment, on the firewall there is a VIN tag. There is also a pair of tags on the passenger side, also engine side of the firewall. Good luck
Old 09-18-2002, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

Swede is an unknown quantity at this point

Why was the VIN tag removed from the tub?

I hope you bought the tub from a junk yard that gave you a bill of sale or personally know the person you bought it from. With no VIN plate the cops will automaticly assume that it is stollen and will attempt to trace it back to who ever removed the plate. When I got my tub inspected in Ohio, the state trooper took the YJ VIN plate that I had removed and the bill of sale to check if it had been reported stollen. She would not issue me a new VIN until she could track that the tub came off a wreaked Jeep. The yard that I bought the tub from closed while I was building FrankenJeep so I had to wait several days while the cops did their research. I now keep all receipts for any divetrain and body parts I buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement