Hard door comparisons TJ/YJ/CJ different/similar?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2002, 08:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

TOM85CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hard door comparisons TJ/YJ/CJ different/similar??

I am trying to figure out a few things regarding hard doors. Does anyone have both TJ and YJ hard doors? Are they the same? I would expect the windshield rake and latches to be different. How much difference is their in the rake? Do the profiles of the back door edge match with the only difference being the latch? Any help or insight is appreciated. I am thinking that a set of Bestop TJ 2-piece soft doors would work on my Scrambler half-hardtop if I change out the latches. This is assuming that the rake isn't too different.

Thanks,
Tom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2002, 09:06 PM
I Do This For The Glory

JEEPN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hard door comparisons TJ/YJ/CJ different/similar??

I have the CJ soft doors I use on the TJ, and the front rake is the same. The rear, however, it different. Not a problem as it stil lseals, about as well as soft doors can seal, by keeping it tight against the soft top. If I get my digital back soon I'll post some pics.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-16-2002, 09:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tom-

I have a TJ and a YJ. The strikes on the tub of the TJ are diferent than the YJ. The YJ is a round stud and the TJ is like a square with the center removed. The TJ windsheld is moved forward about 8" to allow for the air bags so I do not think that they will interchange with the YJ. CJ7 doors will intechange with the YJ as far as I know but I thought I heard something about relocating the strike on the tub. Could be wrong about that one but otherwise the tubs are the same except for the frame connection locations and some other minor things.

Good Luck!
Kriss
Old 09-16-2002, 09:38 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

ExtinctJeep is an unknown quantity at this point

JEEPN is right. I did some research as I'm dying for softdoors on the TJ.

The YJ, CJ, and TJ all share the same profile from the window down the front door frame and back to the bottom far edge of the door. From there up, its a different world.

The TJ doors look like the YJ and CJ hardtop and Best-top doors, but they have a slightly different arc where the upper door meets the lower door (on the soft-doors, but same applies to harddoor).

The strikers are lower and look like a U-bolt on the TJ, while the YJ uses the roung pin design.

The difference in window rake is made by expanding the bottom of the window forward. The back remains the same.

Besides, why don't you just order the YJ two piece doors? They're cheaper.

Fritz
Old 09-16-2002, 09:47 PM
I Do This For The Glory

JEEPN is an unknown quantity at this point

Here are a few pics of the TJ with the CJ soft doors on it. It's hard to see the rear section, but the doors fit fine up to that point. The doors actually fit OK throughout the tub area and the roofline to the bend. I made my own "latches" using some webbing, a buckle, and a dog collar hook. It is wrapped around the door's rods and clipped to the TJ's door striker. We have tested it to 80 mph and it holds fine. It is a little noisy, but keeps 99% of the water out of the cab area.

BTW, I got these doors off Ebay for $60 delivered, and they are like new. Come to think of it, the second complete soft top was $61 delivered, also from Ebay. We had to find a new one when I accidentally put one of the soft door's hinges up through the roof. Be careful how you put them in there.

Old 09-16-2002, 09:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have a set of YJ/CJ7 2-piece doors, and they don't fit. I thought I could make them work, but it doesn't look possible. It looks like the TJ 2-piece doors might work with the CJ/YJ hardtop assuming you could swap TJ handles for CJ/YJ ones. Are you saying that the rear profile of the doors do not match? I knew that the front was different, but wasn't sure about the rear.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 09-16-2002, 09:58 PM

Hmmm. You have the YJ Best-top doors?

The front rake is the same, so the hard part would be the back half. I think that the "s" bend in the door is higher up on the YJ doors than the TJ doors. That would leave a gap in your door whereas a TJ with YJ doors covers the gap because it overlaps.

Fritz
Old 09-16-2002, 10:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yep. I have the YJ doors. The TJ 2-piece doors appear to have the same profile as the TJ hard doors. If that is true, and the TJ and YJ hard doors have the same rear profile, then the 2-piece TJ soft doors should fit. I guess I have more investigating to do.

Later,
Tom
Old 09-16-2002, 10:15 PM

I did some research on the YJ and TJ soft-doors, here's a pic of teh two.
[image] http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthrea...891166-i-1.jpg [/image]
You can see how the rear is different.

I thought that the Best-top YJ soft-doors would fit a stock Yj hardtop. If so, then the TJ doors won't.

Yes the TJ soft and hard doors are the same. The YJ obviously aren't.

i just looked at some CJ harddoors and they do seem to be more curved than the YJ soft-doors and do seem more like the TJ. I would worry about the height from the bottom door frame to the first curve. I'll go measure my TJ doors.

Fritz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 891166-i-1.jpg (17.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-16-2002, 10:30 PM

Okay, the distance from the bottom door frame (all of these are measured outside of the TJ with the top on and doors closed) to the first of the curve is 22". The distance from the bottom of the softop rail to the first curve in the door is 7".

fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement