Super Swamper TSL SX versus Goodyear MTRs' - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2002, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Super Swamper TSL SX versus Goodyear MTRs\'

I have heard that the Goodyear MTRs' are as good in the Mud as the TSLSX and they weigh a ton less.

I am in a situation right now where I can sell my (TSLSX) and go with the MTRs'. I have heard that the side wall strength is comparable and the weight is a big advantage.

What are you guys thoughts? I have the amc 20, 456 gears and they are locked. The front will have Warn chromoly axles 456 gears and be locked as well. These tires are to go on MRT beadlockers. One more thing the Jeep is for offroad use only!

Thanks,
Sheb
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2002, 02:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

elusive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Super Swamper TSL SX versus Goodyear MTRs\'

well.. since i run 37" mtr's for general use and 38.5" tsl/sx's for extreme duty.. i can answer this...
off road.
nothing compares to a tsl/sx. whoever told you the MTR was the same as a swamper in the mud was just plain wrong wrong wrong.
take a look at the sidewall differences in these 2 tires and its quite obvious which is stronger.. while the MTR has one of the best radial sidewalls I've ever seen, it doesnt compare to the sx. you have beadlocks... run those sx's at about 4 PSI... I do...
on the road...
the MTR is a real joy on the road. it also clings to dry rocks as well as the sx does. The MTR balances very nicely and its the quietest mud tire I've ever seen.
sooo... since the jeep is for offroad only... it really sounds like this guy just wants your swampers...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-12-2002, 02:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeeper99xj is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep the sx's dude. I've got them on my jeep and they kick [censored] in all terrains. Run them at a low pressure and they will go anywhere. MTRs are nice if you are just running dry rocks or competing but other than that keep the sx's if you see mud.

BarrelRoll
Old 09-12-2002, 03:46 PM
Pooh-Bah

pbmcauliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

They aren't better than a TSL/SX, or a standard TSL in the mud.
I did switch from TSL's to MTR's and feel they perform just as good if not better than the TSL's did in all areas except mud (which I try to avoid anyway). In our wet NW environment, the MTR's tend to stick to wet rocks better and I have made wet rocky, tree rooted sections in 2wd w/the MTR's that I used to have to use 3 or 4wd and TSL's to make. Since the MTR's do pack up with mud and require more spinning to clean out I have been winched out of unavoidable mud holes more with them than the TSL's. It really depends on your area and wheeling. I run the MTR's at around 9-11 psi on beadlocks and get a contact patch that the swampers had to be at around 4-5 psi to get, so I get a bit more clearance out of them.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was wondering if the weight of the tires are too much for D30 and AMC 20 axles.

Sheb
Old 09-12-2002, 10:17 PM
I Do This For The Glory

JEEPN is an unknown quantity at this point

Um, like others have mentioned, the MTR's aren't as good as the Swampers. No doubt about it. The MTR's do OK, but are not in the same class as the SX, or even the regular TSL's.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just have to go on record with my .02. As a judge for RCAA, I am able to compare the performance of different tires in the same conditions at the same time. I have to say that for rocks, the MTR is king (with a possible exception of the new BFG's). Why anyone would bring swampers to a rock-crawl is beyond me - but some do. Even the competitors that run them wish they ran something else. As for mud .... Well, I haven't seen any of that in my area for over a year and a half. My guess is that the MTR's would suck in the goop and the swampers are the thing to run. But I honestly don't have any experiance there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement