Wrangler Transmission Removal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2002, 04:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Wrangler Transmission Removal

Help, have an 89 Wrangler (258 & manual transmission). Trying to drop transmission to change clutch, etc. Have followed Chiltons manual and currently have all linkages, drive shafts, hoses and BOLTS removed. Transmission is still locked to engine. Pulling, lowering etc. have no effect. Have lowered transmission so that I could see and remove uppermost bolts. If I couldn't see all the way around transmission, I would think that it was still bolted to the engine. Any help would be most appreciated.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2002, 05:39 PM
Addict

greencj7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wrangler Transmission Removal

The tranny has to come straight back about 1" or so before the tranny input shaft will come all the way out of the engine, and then another 2" to 3" to clear the clutch and pressure plate. There are 6 bolts that hold the engine to the bellhousing. Do you have the tranny on a transmission jack? Are the transfer case and transmission shifters free to slip thru the boot when it does come out? Sometimes it really takes a good push/pull to get them started.

Ken
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-06-2002, 07:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is no play in it at all. Seems like with it unbolted there would be some looseness to it. I've dropped a tranny from an S-10 P/U without any trouble so this one has me puzzled. You mentioned 6 bolts. There were two on the bottom of the bell housing that seemed to hold the front cover plate on. Two on the side that bolted through a flange on the motor. Two at the top (either side of TDC) at 11 and 1 o'clock. Any others??

When I lower the tranny, you can see the rear of the motor lowering as well. So I supported the motor thinking that it was putting the tranny in a bind. No effect though. No I'm not using a transmission jack. Rather just a floor jack. Actually, hooked a tow strap to the rear of the tranny and pulled with an ATV to see if I could break it loose. Still no success. Shifter levers will clear (tranny shifter is out and transfer case shifter will clear).
Old 09-06-2002, 08:50 PM
Addict

You're missing 2 bolts. The 2 in the cover plate don't count--there are a total of 6 holding the bellhousing to the engine. To use your clock positions, 11 and 1, 10 and 2 and 9 and 3. The one at 3 also secures the starter. The 2 at 10 and 2 might be cap screws; you'll need a 3/8" allen wrench to get them out if they are.

If you pull it off with the ATV and it hits the floor you'll be looking for a new tranny and or bellhousing--aluminum doesn't stand up well to bouncing off of concrete.

Ken
Old 09-06-2002, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the locations. I'll double check. Was just using the ATV to attempt to break it loose. Actually, I was under watching for any movement and someone else was applying the pressure. Dumb, I know, but I was getting frustrated at the situation. Any tricks to getting the bottom of the bell housing over the exhaust pipe that crosses from driver side to passenger side?
Old 09-06-2002, 10:17 PM
Addict

Sorry, my exhaust runs out the driver's side (I have a CJ7). You will probably have to take off the pipe from the exhaust manifold to the cat.

One thing to remember if you're taking the tranny out just using a floor jack (I've done it that way too). It is real tail heavy because of the transfer case. Once it starts moving, it'll want to go back and down at the rear. A 2-man job without the tranny jack.

Ken
Old 09-06-2002, 11:34 PM
Pooh-Bah

JoeyCJ55 is an unknown quantity at this point

took out my tranny tonight too.
thought it was my clutch but it ended up being my pilot bearing and flywheel.
I've got a 90 wrangler, but they should be basically the same.
You have to take out the pipe pretty much..Just disconnect the bolts that attach the pipe to the exhaust manifold.
Doesn't take but a minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement