Tricks to pass emissions testing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2002, 12:25 PM
Addict

Mike86CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tricks to pass emissions testing?

Hello all. It's been a while since I've been on the board. (Funny how life can "get in the way" like that.) I hope this post finds everyone in good health.

Anyway....The lovely state I live in will yank my registration if they don't get a passing inspection on my CJ-7 soon. As it stands now, the shop really isn't concerned with a visual inspection, just as long as it passes the dyno sniffer.

Here's some background info,
86 CJ-7
-258 with no emissions equipment (none of it worked anyway)
-Weber 32/36 tuned for best idle quality (roughly 650rpm)
-Fuel pressure regulator set at 3 lbs (any less and it stumbles on the street)
-Timing set at 9 degrees
-Cap, rotor, plugs and wires about 4 months old (original AMC/Ford Duraspark style, NOT TR upgraded...maybe I'm just dumb, but it seemed to run well with the stock style stuff.)
-New catalytic converter (no air input, just a regular in/out converter)

Overall it runs well, the plugs are pretty clean and the exhaust is clear, no smoke. I am concerned that it will not pass however due to the fact that I can still smell the exhaust somewhat, even after the cat gets hot. Are there any tricks or short term miracle fixes that will help to pass the sniffer? Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

P.S. I've done a search on this but I came away somewhat empty handed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2002, 12:45 PM
Old Hand

Dan 84 CJ-7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tricks to pass emissions testing?

I have practically the same setup...258, Weber 32/36, no emmissions, new cat, etc. I have the HEI ignition, not stock. I failed the test 3 times and it fianlly came down to re-jetting my carb to pass. Nothing else seemed to make any difference, including adding the cat converter.
You should find lots of discussion on this if you do a search back through my old posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-06-2002, 01:09 PM
Enthusiast

WallyCJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point

One trick that I have used is get the gas tank down to less than 1/4 to an 1/8 and add 2 bottles of rubbing alcohol in the tank. It worked great on my old 78 motorhome, 84 ford truck. You can have the guy at the test shop run a test to see if it will pass before the real test.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:36 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

TiminMb is an unknown quantity at this point

The alcohol is an oxygenator and the added oxygen in the fuel will help ensure more complete combustion of unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide. Obviously you don't run this formula every day, so tricking the test equipment is not nice for mother nature. Think of it this way, if you get it jetted right as suggested above, you will likely acheive better fuel economy as well, so you interests in getting it tuned right are in common with the state.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:00 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

Do a fresh oil and filter change, and a new air filter. Drive it on the highway to get the engine thoroughly warmed up. Also set the timing to specs. On my '78, one component, oxides of nitrogen I think, was way high until I set the spark back to spec. That got it down to about a third of allowable.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:22 PM
Addict

Mike86CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice so far guys. It's much appreciated. I'll double check the equipment before I test it and get it good and hot when I bring it in. The rubbing alcohol idea sounds good. See...there are some problems in life that can be solved with alcohol. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

TiminMb, believe me, this is just a temporary fix. I'm short on time right now and need just something quick and temporary to help me get the inspection before my registration goes bye-bye. I'll definitely take the time afterwards to properly jet the carb and investigate any further issues that may affect the efficiency. Gas is expensive as it is, and good, clean land is hard to come by, so it's definitely in my interests to get this thing running right when I have more time to work on it.

Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast

WallyCJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Please don't get me wrong. I bought the Motorhome and it failed smog before I got it. I learned this trick from a smog guy. After I passed smog with the motorhome it got dyno tuned and it ran like a top. The truck needed a carb and I didn't have the $300.+ at the time. All my cars pass California's tough smog laws without any tricks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement