Towing with tongue upside down> - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2002, 09:48 PM
chrisd0729

Default Towing with tongue upside down>

Is a tow hitch just as strong if the tongue is put in the receiver upside down? I put a 4" lift on my CJ and the tongue on my 4Runner is now too low to flat tow the CJ with a tow bar. I'd like to flip the tongue upside down so the hitch ball would be about 4" higher. Is this safe? There's nothing on the tongue- no warnings or anything.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2002, 10:02 PM
Addict

Woodsrider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Towing with tongue upside down>

I don't think it would make much diference, I see it done all the time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-01-2002, 10:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

H8monday is an unknown quantity at this point

In my experience it makes no difference,...but if a failure were to happen,(your fault their fault,..nobody's fault), they(the manufacturer) would quickly take the stance, that you had used the product outrside of its design parameters.
I have run an 8" drop, upside down on my motorhome hitch for several years with no problems,..but again you must consider what the designers will take responsabilty for in the case of failure.
Old 09-02-2002, 02:05 AM
Enthusiast

itsaposcj5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard that the tongues are not as strong when turned upside down. It is said that the forces are a little different than if it were right side up. That said, I hve been using mine upside down for about 1-2 years now and I have not had any problems. I also see it done a lot have I have not heard of any probelms. I think the manufacturers say that they should not be used upside down to cover their butts if somehting does go wrong. In my personal opinion it should be just fine to run it upside down. I would just keep my eye on it as I would if it were right side up.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:17 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

AllLockedUp is an unknown quantity at this point

On some of the hitches I have seen, it states on the package that it can be used as either a drop or raised hitch. I have never seen a hitch fail, only the balls and only when someone wrapped a chain around a 1 7/8" ball to pull someone out of the mud. I had warned them that those are only rated for about 2000lbs but they didn't listen, I simply walked away a safe distance and let the carnage happen. The ball snapped and went through the grill of the pull vehicle embedding itself in the radiator.
Old 09-02-2002, 11:47 AM
Addict

WilliamA is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a 8" drop ballmount upside down on my Bronco to tow my CJ. The manufacturer actually told me it was ok to do it this way. This ballmount is rated to 10,000 lbs.

I have never had any problem using it in this manner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement