Need help with Clutch Set selection-350/SM465 swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2002, 05:18 AM
Journeyman

tys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help with Clutch Set selection-350/SM465 swap

Here's my application.

1988 V8 350TBI (and flywheel)
1974 SM465/NP205 (and bellhousing)

Which clutch to get? I know I want a 12" disc, with 10 spline at 1-1/8", but what year application should I get? Summitracing.com shows two different p/n's for those years of parts. For years 55-80, they offer a RAM OEM replacement with p/n RAM-88770, and for years 81-89, they offer a RAM OEM replacement with p/n RAM-88793.

I want the clutch to be a diaphram type, because I'm using hydraulic linkage. No other info is offered on their web page, could it be the only difference is B & B vs. Diaphram or do you think there is a difference in pressure plate height or amount of throw needed to disengage, etc?

What advice can you guys offer?

Chris
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2002, 06:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need help with Clutch Set selection-350/SM465 swap

[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I've mentioned this before a few times[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and yes, I AM kind of an eccentric old man in some ways,[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] but I KNOW WHAT WORKS![img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] After having no less than NINE FS GM pickups; five of which have had the 350/SM465 combination, I have this to tell you:[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] "I got real tired of reaching down onto the floor and picking up the clutch pedal that had physically broken off of the bellcrank;[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] or straightening bent pieces of linkage;[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] or tearing out the whole clutch because the excessive spring pressure had failed a throwout finger pivot point;[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] or having the throwout fork bend and become innefective.[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] WHAT I'VE LEARNED is that when you toss a new B&B 12" clutch in there, CUT THREE SPRINGS OUT,[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] one from each group.....not the outside spring, pick one of the center springs and do the same one in each group......so you have 75% of the pressure. It will hold just fine and that way you won't break everything AND you won't wear out the thrust bearing on the crankshaft.[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Hey....I warned you that I was eccentric...[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] but I got real tired of dumping clutches out of my pickups.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]I've long been of the opinion that a 12" B&B clutch was "overkill" for a Chev-Lay 350.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Heck, we used to put these SAME clutches in Dodge trucks which had the Chrysler 392 Double-Rocker Hemi engine in them; engines that had some REAL TORQUE, not like these leetle baby bowties.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-20-2002, 07:54 AM
Journeyman

Yes, I know I definelty want the diaphragm type. I'm using hydraulic linkage and using a B&B is off-limits!

Thanks, and I think I found my source of parts. My local FleetsPride store has what I need in-stock, for less money than the local auto-bone and similar store. AND its more complete!!!

Chris
Old 08-20-2002, 03:26 PM
Journeyman

Manifold is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a stock replacement 11" B&B. Tossed out a 10.5" diaphram style after a few months - started slipping for some reason (that's another story). And, I run a hydraulic setup with no problems. I have an '86 and newer externally balanced SBC with the one piece rear main. I used a clutch that is matched to the '77 tranny and it bolted up fine. The pressure plate patterns were the same between the two different flywheels. What I discovered was, if you wanted a '77 10.5" clutch, it was a diaphram type. 11", B&B. I hadn't investigated the 12" clutch - now my interest is piqued [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2002, 03:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Olin18 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope no one minds me poking into this post, but I was just wondering if anyone would share how they like thier SM465. I am currently in the homework stages of a 35 conversion, and I am looking for a transmition that will go along with. Any opinions on the subject???
Old 08-20-2002, 04:48 PM
Journeyman

Manifold is an unknown quantity at this point

I like mine just fine. Heavy sucker though. I had a newbie right seat last weekend and wow'd him with the granny low first gear. Most stuff I tackle, I don't even need it (crawl ratio works out to 64:1) - but when you need the control, it's great to have it there. I need to get myself out to some wheelin' spots that have some low level rock crawling involved. Then I can reap the benefits.

Back on my previous post - sittin' here thinkin' about it, I'm pretty sure I got the sizes wrong [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It's been long enough since I did the work, things have clouded over. Maybe it's just cause I'm tired... Anyways, I remember the size of the flywheel being in the 14" range, so I hoped the B&B clutch wouldn't be a problem. So, I gotta be off on the clutch size - it must have been a 12" disc. So, the diaphram one was most likely 11". I'd look this junk up to be sure, if I wasn't feeling so lazy at the moment - sorry [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2002, 04:23 AM
Journeyman

Yea a 14" flywheel gets a 12" clutch. The disc measures approx. 11.75", but there is some tolerance in that number from all the manufacturers. Some companies short change you (no names mentioned), but I like the Luk setup. I'm picking up one of their diaphragm types (12") later this morning for about $100. It's a complete kit too, Pressure Plate, Disc, Through Out Bearing, Pilot Bearing and Alignment Tool. Can't beat that!

Chris
Old 08-21-2002, 09:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Oh yeah......and one more thing...[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]...we also use STUDS in the bellhousing for the tranny to slip over and bolt up.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It seems like every used pickup I buy with an SM465 has the threaded holes in the aluminum bellhousing washed out to a certain extent.[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I make studs which screw all the way in and take advantage of the still-unused threaded area that is DEEP in the bellhousing, then I lock 'em in with Lok-Tite. Actually, the studs make it easy to slide the SM465 into place.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you have even ONE hair on your head you'll do the same thing.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Besides, it's cooler.[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement