Steering Column Rebuild - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2002, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast

itsaposcj5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Steering Column Rebuild

Does any one know of a reputable and trustworthy place that can rebuilt a steering column. I have a line on a tilt, telescopic column that was adapted to fit a CJ-5 and I want to use it, but it is in desperate need of a rebuild. I have no idea what it is out of. I believe that it is GM but not sure. I am in Los Angeles County. Thanks in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2002, 01:44 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Steering Column Rebuild

What's wrong with the column? A little more infomation would help. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/column/tiltcol.html>This may help</a>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-18-2002, 02:07 PM
Addict

veitcha is an unknown quantity at this point

nice name, i see you have a lot of faith in your CJ.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:33 PM
Enthusiast

The turn signals and self cancellers are shot and it has no signs of ever having a horn button. The telescopicing lock is no longer there. Some one replaced it with a bolt. The bearing are wasted as well. Some of this I can live with but I can not live with the turn signals not working properly. Safety is very important to me. The link is great. Thanks. But, unfortunately that column mirrors your basic GM style column and this one is very different. The turn signal and horn ring is permanently connected to the rest of the wiring harness. If I remember correctly the typical GM column the wiring harness can be disconnected from the turn signal/horn ring. I am a little lost one this one. Since the steering column should not be something you get cheap on, I will let a professional do this one. I am afraid of screwing this up.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:35 PM
Enthusiast

I have all the faith in the world in my CJ, it is my wife, firends, co-worke3rs that are not so sure of it. The name just echoes what other people say about my beloved CJ. Besodes if you looked at it would probably call it a POS too. :-)
Old 08-19-2002, 05:41 AM
Can't Get Enough

JimmyZ is an unknown quantity at this point

So if the column was modified to fit the CJ, start looking in junk yards(excuse me, recycling centers) to find a good column and transfer the modified parts to it. I thought the only columns that were tilt and telescope were from Caddys. Good Luck.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:29 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

GM standardized the column parts for years and years and years. They were so standardized over time that "Help" Company actually has all these parts avaliable at most AuotParts Stores as does NAPA. The parts are usally displayed on a large Rotary Display... Last I checked the turnsignal components were about $20, and they have the horn parts as well. If it's not a typical GM Column, I'd shy away from buying it because of parts costs as well as fit. The last time I priced a GM Column the cost was &lt;$100 for what your describing at my local recycle yard.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:45 PM
Enthusiast

I talked to a guy over the phone that rebuilds columns and he thinks it is a 1968 Vette unit. He says he can replace the broken parts and help me with a few other odds and ends to get it perfect for under $100 bucks. I am going to go see him on Fri. Hopefully I can get it in the Jeep this weekend. I have to have a few brackets welded onto the column to get it into the Jeep and make it sturdy and safe. I think I am going to use the stock one with a bigger hole in it and weld that to the column. For the bottom end I am going to use the stock mounting bracket that is bolted to the firewall. The column comes with a Grant steering wheel and adapter. Both are in good shape. I will tell more when I get the column looked at. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:49 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

AllLockedUp is an unknown quantity at this point

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I thought the only columns that were tilt and telescope were from Caddys.

<hr></blockquote>

Nope, Corvettes had them too.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:10 AM
Can't Get Enough

JimmyZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Love this place. The day you stop learning something new should be the day you die. Remember those "swing away" columns that I think late 60's early 70's T-birds had to get in and out of the seat easier? They tilted up and angled toward the center of the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement