how to burn galvanizing off? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2002, 07:49 PM
Addict

timCsjeep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how to burn galvanizing off?

Is it as easy as it sounds? Put a #2 welding tip on the oxy/act torch and heat it until its bright red? Or do i need to do something different. Thanks- Tim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2002, 08:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: how to burn galvanizing off?

The gases that come off Galvanizing when heated (such as welding) are very costic [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. If this is something that you have to do, wear proper breathing gear!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-06-2002, 08:12 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Jeepzilla is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I know , Galvanizing is only a dip , just take a grinder to it . And DONT under any circumstances breath those fumes , same goes for welding that stuff . Welding that almost cost a kid his life at the shop a few doors down from my old work place .

jeff
Old 08-06-2002, 08:13 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

Burning off galvanizing produces poisonous gases. They can put you into respitory distress, a heart attack can quickly follow. It's not a pretty sight. If that don't get ya, then perhaps carbon monoxide will.

In short, it's pretty dangerous stuff to play with if you're not wearing a respirator and/or have good air circulation.

That's one of the problems pro and amature welders always face when welding on galvanized sheet metal. Patch repiar of autobodies and frames can give off a lot of fumes. But then, it's your choice.

Zinc can be removed by soaking the piece in a mild acid bath. Vinegar works pretty well, but the piece has to be soaked for several hours. I've even heard Draino works...but I've never tired it. Draino can give off some nasty fumes when heated.

Also one other thought... if there is ANY temper in the metal then heating to red hot will destory it... be prepared to restore needed temper.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:21 PM
Addict

timCsjeep is an unknown quantity at this point

ok then let me ask a better question: Where can i find non galvanized mesh type fencing? We are going to have a pig roast friday night and due to the size of the pig it seems like the easiest way to cook it will be to wrap it in wire fence mesh and stick two polls through it so that we can flip it. Any better ideas? If i cant grind zinc off of fence mesh, so i would have to burn it.

We also thought about cutting a 55 gal drum in half to make a big grill but then you have the whole problem of cleaning whatever was in the drum out real good and stuffing a really big pig into it.- Tim
Old 08-06-2002, 08:47 PM
JesseA

How do you Restore the Temper in metal LEVE? I still dont really understnad the process, on of my teachers said to heat the steel up and slowly put it into cold water...
is this right?

Jesse
Old 08-06-2002, 09:04 PM
Journeyman

shawnscj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Tim
What I've done in the past is use safety wire. You can find it in McMaster Carr. It is Stainless Steel, you can get it in different sizes in a spool (it is usually used to go through the head of bolts on critical equiptment or aircraft, sometimes called aircraft saftey wire). Or even better yet, you can go to Home depot or any welding store and pick up a small spool of ss mig wire, that will work too.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:10 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

knifeboy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well when I saw the post I was going to mention something along the lines of watch out for the fumes, but it looks like I was beaten to it a few times over. I'm still pretty new to this board, but if I remember anything from my welding teacher its don't over heat galvanized metal. I suppose if your just roasting a pig you don't need the metal to be super strong. Just stronger than a pig. Would just a basic steel wire work for you? And there is always that string used on turkeys.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:52 AM
Official Curmudgeon

CJ7Taz is an unknown quantity at this point

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Zinc can be removed by soaking the piece in a mild acid bath. Vinegar works pretty well, but the piece has to be soaked for several hours.

<hr></blockquote>I'm with LEVE on this one. Use muratic acid.

You don't want zinc involved in food preparation. If you don't have a spit big enough, do it Hawaiian luau style. You'll need to look it up on the web to get the exact particulars, but you basically dig a pit in the ground and line it with charcoal. Once you get all the charcoal burning and the flames die down, you put the pig in the pit and cover him up. Put on your bright shirts and grass skirts. Besides you can all get leid. MAKE DAMN SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING COOKING PORK. If you don't cook it properly hot enough and long enough, it can kill you. From the little I know, if you are going to roast a whole pig Friday night, that means you are going to eat on Saturday. So if you want to eat Friday you need to start the pig roast sometime Thursday.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

How do you Restore the Temper in metal LEVE? I still dont really understnad the process, on of my teachers said to heat the steel up and slowly put it into cold water... is this right?

<hr></blockquote>I'm not LEVE, but use oil, not water.
Old 08-07-2002, 04:22 AM
Official Curmudgeon

CJ7Taz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thinking back about what I said, the "line the pit" may be a little misleading. It's got to be a pretty thick lining and I think you also need enough charcoal to cover the pig and I'm not sure but I think you then cover that with dirt to keep the heat in. I'm not really sure, like I said look it up on the web.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement