Welding Sunburn - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2002, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast

80sCJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Welding Sunburn

I, um, have a friend, that got a little crisped by a welding project yesterday. After about a year of doing small projects this was the first big one, the roll cage. Wearing gauntlet gloves and shirt, full face shield, but only shorts. It was almost 100 out, what can I say? Lots of welding with 180A MIG, got a bit close and involved, ended up with some very red, sore legs today (um, my friend, that is.) So remember your sun screen fellas, don't want to end up like <strike>me</strike> my friend.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2002, 11:17 AM

Dirt Dog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Welding Sunburn

I've had plenty from welding and some were not pretty. Remember that it is way stronger than what you get from sunlight. You may be fine untill the next day. Then you see (feel) how bad you got it.[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-04-2002, 04:11 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

knifeboy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know how that feels. I did that to myself in welding class in high school. The teacher always told us to wear the welding jackets, but it was hot one day so I figured I'd live with a few sparks hitting me. I didn't realize it was to keep the UV off too. So I had a nice sunburn on my arms in the middle of winter. Oh well.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:02 PM
Old Hand

HOGHEAD is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait until you flash burn your eyes for a real treat ,,,, Iv been welding for 30 yrs .. Worst was in a stainless steel milk tank with a Tig welder &amp; the light was bouncing all around you ,,, About 2;30 that night it felt like sand paper under my eye lids ,,, A friend told me (after waking him up) to cut a potato in half &amp; scrap the inside &amp; put it on my eyes (with eyes closed ,,looked like mashed potatos),,, Sounded like a pay back for waking him but it sucked the heat out of my eyes ,,, felt better the next day,,,
Old 08-04-2002, 07:24 PM

Dirt Dog is on a distinguished road

Hoghead is right on the money here. If it happens to you it really does work. It's not just an "old wives tale".
Old 08-04-2002, 08:32 PM
JesseA

you put cold mashed potatoes on your eyelids? youve got a good friend to put up with being called up at 2;30 am and administer a health fix.

thatll go in the odd but good file.

Jesse
Old 08-04-2002, 10:42 PM
Addict

Woodsrider is an unknown quantity at this point

Years ago I was welding fish plating to a trailer frame, that was setting flat on the ground, weld for about 8 hours. I had a old pair of jeans on and got a good burn between my legs. I allways think about that when welding.
Old 08-05-2002, 04:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I've been welding since about 1958 or so, and I've never actually been sunburned per se. By the time I wuz ready to weld, my Dad had instilled in me the cautions needed to not get the UV treatment. BY FAR the worst burns I have are from that ONE weld that......well......was SO MINOR that: "We won't bother to slip on the leathers." Man O Man! I can look down at my forearm and STILL see the holes that got burned in me![img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] WIRE WELDERS are the worst......you can really get crapped on by sparks when going overhead or vertical.[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I have used a sliced potato MANY TIMES to relieve arc burn to my eyes.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It's no fun, and when you are "helping" someone weld, invariably you will get a flash when you are holdin' and they are tackin'.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2002, 07:07 AM
Can't Get Enough

JimmyZ is an unknown quantity at this point

In the course of getting a license to work on aircraft I had to learn to recognise the difference between a good and bad weld. I can't do it very well, thus seeing a bad weld all the time. Well I got laid off from Lockheed in GA and took a job at a railroad car manuf. company in their maintenance department. A lot of welding equipment. 408 3-phase, wire feeder carts, CO2 and argon shielding. The place ran their own welding school and advertised on the local cable channel----they would go through welders fairly quick, guys would become good and realize they could make better money and take less crap by going somewhere else. So one day I had a call that a welding machine was not working properly. I wasn't interested in using someone elses helmet, greasy &amp; sweaty, so I just carried the little glass in a leather sleeve. I would hold it in one hand to my face and test the welder out with my other hand. Between testing it and looking at the meters it always just took a few seconds to determine if the machine was pooping itself or if the welder wanted to take a break. Equipment failure didn't affect their incentive. Well I had this one machine that would work fine for a couple seconds then get real hot. Was it me or the machine? Tried it again...same thing. Scratch head. Gauges were moving around a little but really holding their settings. Tried a new lead, tested again, same thing. Repeat again. Scratch a$$ this time. At the same time I was trying a third lead and watching it arc inside the lead as I was holding it.....wohah, a foreman came up to me and told me to stop. I looked at him I guess with a questioning look and he said to right now go and look in a mirror. With all that testing I had a perfect rectangle over my eyes(from the welding glass) and the rest of my face was beet red. Turns out that the fellow that was rebuilding the leads was doing a crappy job and the braided copper conductor wasn't going were it was supposed to. With my red face I went to the maintenance superintendant to "pitch a bitch" and he threatened to put me in there rebuilding them. I stopped him in his tracks when I told him I didn't care as long as I could do it properly.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:57 PM
TNJeeper

I was welding up a new exhaust on my fullsize chevy truck in my driveway a couple of years ago. Couldn't really fit both my head and helmet in the area I needed in order to see where to weld, so I decided to take the helmet off, place the gun in the correct position, close my eyes and pull the trigger. I got the job done, but I had such a sunburn on my eyelids! My eyes actually swelled up a bit, with all of the pain and itching. The sad thing is I actually had a couple of pairs of gas welding/torch goggles in the garage that I could have used, but was too lazy to crawl out from under the truck to get them. Never again!

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement