Yj vs cj spring length? Att. pbm - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2002, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Yj vs cj spring length? Att. pbm

Anybody know the difference in length between the yj springs and the cj springs? Also, is there a better quality yj spring than a stock replacement. Who makes the best stock springs? Its for a spring over.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2002, 12:22 PM
thejunker

Default Re: Yj vs cj spring length?

Dunno about the length, but I have heard that the 6 leaf stock replacements you can get through JC Whitney are good for spring-over lifts...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-2002, 03:55 PM
Veteran

3/4tonYJ is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm pretty sure that CJ rear springs are about 1 inch or so shorter than YJ's
Old 07-25-2002, 11:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone know about how much more lift the hd cj springs are going to give compared to the stock wrangler springs? And which ones flex better? For my application, the lower the jeep sits the better. I am planning on some nice touch up work around the fenders.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...
jamgood96 is an unknown quantity at this point

YJ springs probably flex the best, but you'll be going through a set every other month, no joke! I'm probably gonna get a set of HD rear CJ-7 7leaf springs from JCW. PBM is running those and has had pretty good luck. He wore the 6leaf YJ springs out pretty fast. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2002, 10:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

PBM, Do you know the difference in lift between yj and cj springs? I dont know why I didnt ask you right off cause I knew that you had experience with both. Ive put a lot of thought into my SOA setup but am starting to have different thoughts. I was pretty much sold on the yj springs despite everyone telling me they would wear out so much faster but now Im having second thoughts. When the yj springs wear out, are they going to break or just sag? And, will they get continually worse or just sag to a point and then stay that way. Im in the SOA more for the flex and ground clearance than the lift so sagging isnt a big problem.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:05 PM
Pooh-Bah

pbmcauliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the HD 7 leafs gave me about 1.5" more lift than the YJ springs did. The YJ springs did start sagging on the first run, and were going more and more negative arch when I pulled them off and went to the CJ rears. The first couple, of times I would mix other leafs in their to get some lift back. The height isn't that big of a deal to me either, I am going for the big tire, lower lift route, but would have had to taken my fenders off, to clear the 37"s if I kept the sagging YJ springs on there.
The YJ's probably flex more, but my CJ7 performed all around bettter with the HD7's and still flexed great.
High5 on here runs the HD7's as well and seems to do well with them.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are the hd springs going to sag some too after a few runs? More of a breaking in rather than a wearing out like the yj springs? I want them to sag a little at first but not to just get progressively worse. I thought maybe the yj springs just sagged right away to the point of too much and thats why you didnt use them again. Thanks.

Oh, by the way. How long have you been an EMT and what do you think of it. I live in Lebanon OR and have one more year of high school left. I am pretty seriously considering going into it for a career. A good friend of mine has worked for the Lebanon station for 20 some years and has been helping me figure out the stuff I need to do to get started. I am planning on volunteering this fall and then trying to get in a schooling program next year and possibly this next summer.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:15 PM
Pooh-Bah

Samurai202 is an unknown quantity at this point

A decent traction bar will fix most of your YJ leaf problems. They wear out due to axle wrap and become kinda s-shaped. The YJ's are either 2 or 4" longer then stock CJ's. And Yes the YJ's are a flexy mother. Try to find some OEM YJ's cause they have a softer springrate then the JC Whitney. Also remember if sagging due to weight is an issue you can always add another leaf or two from your current springs.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:54 AM
Pooh-Bah

pbmcauliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been an EMT for about 2.5 yrs, it is interesting, I mainly use it in Mountain Rescue, just being out in public and a ride alongs to stay up on quals. I am now looking into going thru school for Paramedic.

The HD springs will settle a bit, but not as bad as the YJ springs. I have 10+ hard runs on the HD's w/o noticeable sagging, the YJ's I was lucky to get a weekend out of.

As far as a traction bar, I do have and have had one the whole time. Since axlewrap isn't a problem, I found the YJ's main problem is being able to go into negative arch so easily which kills them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement