troubleshooting gauges - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2002, 07:24 AM
Veteran

80cj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default troubleshooting gauges

Leve, can you help me out with this (or anyone else) i used to have it the page saved on how to troubleshoot problems with gauges, but can't seem to find it now. some how the i think that i shorted out the fuel, temp and oil gauges. they are all dead now. so if anyone has any working ones they'd like to get rid of, please let me know.

thanks all
shawn
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2002, 07:39 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: troubleshooting gauges

Yep.... <a target="_blank" href=http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/gauges.htm>John's Holy Grail of CJ Gauge Fixn' </a>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-2002, 08:18 AM
Veteran

thanks Leve. now does anyone have any laying around that they want to get rid of?

thanks all
shawn
Old 07-25-2002, 08:51 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

Before you go thowin' parts at the problem... sit down, think and reason out the problem(s). It's highly unlikely you've blown all gauges, as they are on different circuits.

May I first suggest:

1. Assure you've got GREAT grounds:
a. Battery to engine block.
b. Battery to Frame, Frame to engine block.
c. Battery to Tub, Tub to Frame.
2. Check the voltage to each gauge.
3. Run a seprate ground wire to the rear of the CJ. Weave it into the driver's side wiring loom and use it to ground lights and the gas sender. Don't use the frame!
4. Start trouble shooting gauges one at a time... It's often the wiring that's the issue.
5. Be sure you're aware of the Voltage regulating strap between the oil pressure gauge and the gas gauge. It's a must and if you don't understand it's usage then ask FIRST. Otherwise you will be buying a new gauge.
6. Ask questions if you don't understand something. I make people ill with the amount of questions (many seamingly silly or stupid). Ignorance is NOT a sin, it's a reverseable condition.
7. If you don't have a DVM, buy one! For &lt;$20 you can buy one that will do the job just fine and throw it in your tool kit for next time.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:46 PM
Veteran

Leve,
good advice, as always. here is what happened. i had some friends who wanted to help, and didn't pay close attention to what they were doing. the fuel gauge didn't work cause the wire to the sending unit on the tank was not hooked up. but in his 'exporation' of the problem, i think that he switched several wires on the gauges, cause when i hooked it up, the oil pressure pinned, and so did the oil. but both are dead now. but i will def check first before buying new. but i figure that even if some aren't shot, i'd like to have some extras around.

thanks all
shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement