different gears in front and rear - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2002, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default different gears in front and rear

Can I run 373 gears in my front and 456 gears in my rear axle? Is this going to caus eproblems?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2002, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: different gears in front and rear

Yes it will cause problems in 4wd.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-22-2002, 09:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some mud racers over here run different ratios and dont have any problems, but one of my friends tried it is his k5 and destroyed his xfur case.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:03 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

The mud racers also run different diameter tires so that one revolution of each driveshaft equates to the same distance covered by the tires.

If you run different gear ratios due to money reasons, at least remove the front driveshaft. That way you'll never either accidentally engage 4wd or get into a situation where you'd be tempted to use it to get out of a stuck.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:26 PM
Addict

OregonSahara is an unknown quantity at this point

Right now, I am running 3.07's in the front and 4.09's in the rear. But as Will points out, I can't use my 4wd without breaking something. I am doing the regearing myself and since I am a rookie, I wanted to make sure I have set the rear up correctly, before jumping to the fronts.
-OS
Old 06-23-2002, 09:38 PM
Addict

Brhino is an unknown quantity at this point

wow-people actually do that huh? Not here in Iowa but we are boring. Yes it will cause you problems in 4wd-if you only run 2wd, why buy a Jeep? Cars are cheaper. My prediction-you will tear up the 3.73s. Smaller gears and the front won't be able to pull the rear for very long. Replace both.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:05 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

My bet is the transfer case.

Please post which breaks first.

Old 06-24-2002, 08:16 AM
Addict

Brhino is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have connections in Las Vegas? Maybe someone could posts some odds and we could make his Jeep a game!!
Old 06-25-2002, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

Swede is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a t-case from a guy who had a YJ that did not have the front driveshaft hooked up when he bought it. The original owner said 4wd worked fine. When the new owner hooked up the driveshaft and put in 4wd, he promptly sheared off the front output shaft. The previous owner didn't tell him that he had changed the rear gears from 4.10 to 3.07 for "better gas mileage"!

I got this t-case for the input shaft to do a BA-10/AX-15 swap so the output shaft wasn't a problem.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:40 AM
Addict

rock_monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

ive heard of the heavy metal trucks doing that in the races and for baja, but i would think the split is fractional like 4.56 in the front and 4.50 in the rear. of course, if you have the money to run a truck like that, you can afford to have custom ratios cut for you. the explanation i heard for that was that the front will pull the truck more than the rear will push, keeping the truck more controllable in the high speed, loose surface straight aways, keeping the fishtailing to a very minimum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement