Iron Duke 4 cylinder? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2002, 08:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Iron Duke 4 cylinder?

Anybody know anything about the Iron Duke? Is it really as rare as Ive been told? Is it as good a engine as Ive been told? Are they worth anything if I want to sell it? Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2002, 08:26 AM
Old Hand

lindy80cj7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Iron Duke 4 cylinder?

not rare....good but underpowered.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-07-2002, 04:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My Jeep has an Iron Duke in it, I've come to like it works well off road the only thing I don't like about it is on the open high way when you come to a long grade it's hard to keep up your speed.But it is very dependable.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast

riksnacjnow is an unknown quantity at this point

What years did they use the Iron duke?
Old 06-07-2002, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They were only used from 80 to 83.
Old 06-07-2002, 08:46 PM
Enthusiast

MUDITUP4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have one in my 82 cj7. I will put a 350 in as soon as I can. With 31's and 3.54's with the 5spd it pings when you let out the clutch in 1st gear. I need more power for the 33's that I want.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have it in my 80 CJ-7. Great motor, very dependable and reliable. Makes good power with the right gearing for climbing, and on the highway it will take me up to 70-75mph until i hit a slight hill then its down to about 45.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:17 AM
I Do This For The Glory

JEEPN is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, great little motor. I have 3 of them here, but they are a little underpowered for large tires. I like them because they will literally lug to 300 rpm's and recover easily, which is amazing.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:02 AM
Addict

trailisman is an unknown quantity at this point

The original 153 c.i. Chevrolet Iron Duke was designed for and used as OE in the Nova during early 60s. This is the Iron Duke that has kinda like a cult following and is more rare.
The 151c.i. Iron Duke that was used in Jeeps was designed and built by PMD (early 70s). Intended to be 'economy' engine... i.e. durable, fuel efficient, easy to maintain, withstand neglect, etc. It is an Iron Duke only by name, it shares no parts with the original Iron Duke built by Chevrolet.
Added Value - the PMD Iron Duke engines were also used in many RWD GM cars and trucks from mid 70s to mid 80s so parts are available and donors are plenty and TBI is (almost) a bolt on upgrade and the BH pattern is exact same as SBC. Note: FWD version of the Iron Duke has changed BH pattern but I think internal parts will swap and that it is possible to use heads from these engines to add port injection to your Jeep Iron Duke. Performance upgrades and hop-ups are available, like the Pontiac Super Duty. However, most of these favor high RPM HP (speed).
There was some discussion, re the Jeep Iron Duke, on this BBS several months ago. You could also search the net for "Iron Duke" or "Pontiac Iron Duke" or "Nova" or "Pontiac Super Duty". Seems like to me that tons-o-information could be found that way... if you are interested.
Probably aren't worth much... doesn't seem to be much demand for durable, low HP engines. I got one from a 48k mile '80 CJ-5 with a SR-4 and a D300 attached - $50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement