Power Steering Conversion for 74 CJ5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2002, 05:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Power Steering Conversion for 74 CJ5

What do I need to put power steering on a 74 CJ5 304? Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2002, 06:23 PM
Pooh-Bah

cj5_pilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Power Steering Conversion for 74 CJ5

I'm stealing the whole power steering setup off a newer CJ5. However, I understand many saginaw boxes off of chevy's will fit. Which years exactly, I'm not sure. Check out http://www.shortwheelbase.com they may have an answer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-02-2002, 06:32 PM
Pooh-Bah

JoeyCJ55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Be careful what saginaw you get.
If you grab one with a different style input shaft, thought they look the same, they won't bolt up.
As cj5 pilot said, I would also grab one from a newer cj5
Old 06-02-2002, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Joey they will bolt up. You may have to change the coupler on the bottom of the shaft, but it's still a bolt on proposition. Saginaw power boxes either have a 3/4" input shaft or a 13/16" input shaft. Manual boxes are all 3/4". Four Wheel Drive Hardware has both sizes of couplers for about $40 each. If the box you buy doesn't use the 3/4" coupler you get the 13/16" and swap them out. Easy as that and unlike popular belief, a complete steering shaft swap is not necessary. A swap to a CJ power box guarantees the need to change the coupler as they all have the 13/16" shaft.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:02 AM
Pooh-Bah

When I said bolt up, I meant bolt up with his current set up.
I'm just telling him so he doesn't think he is saving money by buying one from a yard, and ends up having to spend the extra 40.
I already knew about the coupler, I was in the same situation last year, and you guys told me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
The smaller size shafts have the ragjoints correct?Isn't that what their names are?
been a while..
Old 06-03-2002, 09:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No the smaller joints don't necessarily have the rag joints. I have two Wagoneer boxes in my shop with the smaller shafts and neither ever used a rag joint. Rag joints are removable from the input shaft to reveal the same setup that any CJ uses, so discussion of rag joints vs the couplers is really a moot point.
Old 06-03-2002, 01:41 PM
Pooh-Bah

I'm just going by what I've been told, which could have very well been wrong.
Thats why I ended my sentence with..isn't that correct [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
I guess the two I got just happened to be the smaller shaft and had ragjoints.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:49 PM
Journeyman

Jeff is an unknown quantity at this point

Muddynut, I done this swap on my 75 CJ5 about 11 or 12 years ago so bear with me, I`m working from memory. You`ll need a mid 70s to early 80s GM steering gear. I prefer the gears off the larger models, Impala, Cutlass, Riviera. I tried a Camaro box and didn`t like it when on the street, the ratio was too quick for my taste. Get one that has "76" stamped on it. I`ve been told these are the better, more heavily gusseted steering gears.
Get the pump, bracket and hoses if possible. I modified the GM pump bracket to fit on my 304. Get a steering gear and pump that uses flare type hose fittings. I bought a new CJ pressure hose from NAPA and used on mine. It has the pre bent ends on it. NAPA also sells return line hose that you can clamp to your old fittings. I used 2 clamps on each end and it`s not leaked so far.
You`ll need a CJ power steering pitman arm because the tierod hole in the GM arm is too big for the CJ tierod end.
You will also probably need a crankshaft pulley that will let you run 2 fan belts. Mine already had the 2 belt pulley on it.
Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement