How tight to tighten oil pan bolts?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2002, 06:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

DanStew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How tight to tighten oil pan bolts??

Well after changing all of the seals in my engine, the motor still leaks oil. Well since everything was cleaned off, i found where it was leaking. Well it was leaking at the oil pan. I didnt change this gasket because I changed it a couple of months back. So i pulled it and noticed that the gasket was crushed in half. Well when i put the gasket in originally i made sure i didnt crush it. But it still leaked and a buddy of mine really torqued it down. So that is how it crushed. Now i cleaned everything all nice. Got good sealant and coated the gasket. I put everything beack together. I tightened the bolts just snug. I really took my time for this. Now how much torque does the cork gasket take?? This is a 4.0L V6. So i guess if it leaks again, just titen it enough to stop the leak. What experience do you guys have in sealing the oil pan?
Thanks
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2002, 06:09 PM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How tight to tighten oil pan bolts??

If I remember right it's 12 - 15 ft. pounds.....that's pretty universal for any oil pan.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-22-2002, 06:41 PM
Addict

WilliamA is an unknown quantity at this point

I spray the gaskets with Permatex High Tack Adhesive Sealant on the block side then position the gaskets, the adhesive will hold the gaskets in place. Be sure to use some RTV where the gaskets meet. If I remember correctly, the set consists of 4 pieces. There are little tabs on the cork gasket that will fit into grooves that are molded into the 2 rubber end gaskets (this is where you want to use the RTV). Then bolt up the oil pan.

oil pan bolts*
1/4 x 20 5 to 9 Ft-lbs
5/16 x 18 10 to 13 Ft-lbs

* These torque specs are for the Jeep CJ series 4.2 liter.
I imagine they should work for the 4.0 liter.
Old 05-22-2002, 07:11 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

Those specs should be good for your buick V6 too.
Old 05-22-2002, 07:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well I drove the jeep to dinner tonight and it was still leaking. I am going to give it another turn on each bolt. I dont have a torque wrench that goes that low. i borrowed my buddies and it starts at 40 lbs. I am thinking possibly there is a crack in the block. Everything seems real clean but it seems to be leaking from the middle bolt on the passenger side. I checked the flatness of the pan and it was fine. I dont know how much pressure is in the bottom end of the engine, but i guess it is just pushing out the oil.
Thanks for the help
Old 05-22-2002, 08:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

TOM85CJ7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a reman 258 in my Scrambler. It is leaking slightly near the middle on the driver's side. I am going to try tightening a couple of the bolts. Mine just leaks enough so that you can see a few drops in the morning. The engine doesn't have 30 minutes on it yet. Post your results.

Later,
Old 05-22-2002, 08:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well i just got back from my buddies and he had a torque wrench that goes to 0 ft. lbs and he has a inch pounds wrench. So i grabbed both and i will torque the bolts down tomorrow. I am also crossing my fingers. Sometimes i think i have bad karma working on my jeep. I try and I try, but alot of times it takes longer to get stuff to work. Given it is just dues i have to pay. I will post my results.

Old 05-22-2002, 09:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The key here is the first few minutes after the gasket is installed. Put the gasket on and torque to spec, make sure you aren't squishing the gasket. I don't use any sealer. Then start the engine, get it up to operating temp, shut it down, let it cool completely and retorque. I've never had a pan gasket leak doing it this way. The main thing to remember is DON'T overtighten the bolts.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:40 AM
JesseA

4wd Hardware and CarQuest sell nice neoprene and steel 1piece pan gaskets. I think that the one i boutght coust $26. this would eliminate these kind of problems as far as the gasket getting messed up. the car quest one has a steel insert and all but impossible to over torque. fits AM/Jeep inlines 199 232 258 and 4.0

Jesse
Old 05-23-2002, 06:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

From seeing first hand what overtorquing doees to that poor cork gasket, i am trying to not squish it. When i get home tonight i willuse the torque wrench and tighten them down to specs. Hopefully i can seal it after it has leaked a little bit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement