Vent relocation on a 727 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2002, 07:34 PM
Can't Get Enough

GreenMachine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vent relocation on a 727

I was looking at the vent hole today and wondered if anyone had ever threaded the hole and put something like a hose barb on there so they could run a long vent tube up high. Anyone done anything like this or something else that you would recommend to relocate the vent?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2002, 08:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Vent relocation on a 727

i'm unfamliar with a 727 but i relocated the vents on my diffs[front and rear] and on the T14..drill holes in the diff covers and fitted hose barbs....basically same for the box....I did put inline fuel filters at the end of each tube to help keep the crud out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 777346-r diff breather.jpg (35.8 KB, 3 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-18-2002, 08:44 AM
Way Outta Control

LEVE is on a distinguished road

Humm... I think you're lookin' at the vent on the transfer case as the transmission vent is behind the torque converter.... and that's not in plain sight unless you've dropped the transmission and the torque converte is off the input shaft.

Look <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ifsja.org/tech/transmission/727vent.shtml>Here</a> and Here for a good article on the relocation. The job's not hard to do, and it's well worth the time and effort, even if you have to drop the transmission.
Old 05-18-2002, 08:48 AM
Can't Get Enough

The transmission is in my garage floor. I found that article on swb.com but he is pretty vague about the new hole. Maybe it will become more clear when I pull it apart. Pictures would have been nice (I will take a few when I do mine so future people won't have to wonder).
Old 05-18-2002, 09:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

ozarkjeep is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry teh article is vague, I wrote that about 8 years ago.

these are pics of the tranny I was doing when the article came about, the MAIN thing to remember is if you locate it directly over a rotating part that isnt smooth, itll likely burp alot of fluid, the one I did was liek that, and on the highway it would dribble some fluid, I ended up with a few loops in the vent line, and a $3 fuelfilter on teh end, and that solved the burping.

I ran the line to the glovebox on my cherokee.

Old 05-18-2002, 09:51 AM
Can't Get Enough

Thanks for the pictures helps identify where the elbow needs to go. I have another thing that has me wondering too. I need a torque converter and was looking at the B&amp;M traveller (they advertise it for towing and mobile homes). It says it fits Chysler A-727's from 68-81 non-lockup. Mine is a 84 non-lockup. Is there any difference in the newer transmissions? Is a better torque converter worth the money or should I just buy a rebuilt one from a tranny shop or a autozone special stock one?
Old 05-18-2002, 10:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

pontiac58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ozark the one in the pic is that the tranny that burps. Mine burps running down the road too. And i want to redrill it to a different place. So my question is: Is that spot good in the pic or not a good place to drill. I have no clue where mine is i had it put in when the tranny was being rebuilt.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:25 AM
Way Outta Control

With the clutches flinging ATF all about, coupled with the heat of the ATF, I'm not surprised if it burps a bit. The one thing I'd recommend is that you actually pull apart the transmission and remove the clutches... then look on the top side of the case for an area where the clutches are not so near the case... a gap between clutches and gearing, etc. This way you'll at least remove the slinging effect. My choice would be to put the vent above the Over-Run Clutch as pictured below:

Last edited by LEVE; 03-24-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2002, 11:10 AM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

The TH400 has the vent on top like LEVE's picture shows.

LEVE, do you have a picture of a TH400 that shows how its vent works without pumping fluid out?
Old 05-18-2002, 11:27 AM
Way Outta Control

Nope, my TH400 books are still in storage in Wisconsin...The other idea that struck me was to actually drill and tap 6 holes in the top of the case, and bolt a small machined "box" to the top of the case with four of those holes. Inside the case would be a baffle that would deflect most of the oil that would sling out. One hole would be venting while the other hole would be draining (hopefully) and this would lesson the chance of the vent line overflowing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement