What does the fuel return hose really do? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2002, 09:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default What does the fuel return hose really do?

My 1975 258 carb and engine setup didn't have any such lines but when I installed a '76 304, it used a return line.

What's the deal? Do I need it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2002, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

Bald_One is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What does the fuel return hose really do?

Try searching on here about it, I know we were just talking about it the other day.

Just a brief overview, the return line, on a carbureted engine ,serves multiple functions:

Allows fuel to return to the tank, rather than over pressurizing and blowing the needle off the seat (with high volume/ pressure pumps).

Helps prevent vapor locking by allowing cooling fuel to circulate through the pump at all times rather than vaporizing in the lines and pump.

Helps reduce post fuel pump line pressure to help minimize wear and tear on the pump.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-22-2002, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh yeah, the search function works now.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2002, 07:45 AM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

The thread you want is titled "Return line routing" or something close.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That was my thread he's talking about, I don't remember what the exact title was but search by my name, no more than two weeks.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I bought a used Suburban once and the goof-balls who had previously worked on it[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] plugged off the fuel return line in a very sneaky manner[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] such that it did not show it was plugged.[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] That Sub ran like crap.[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] When I would pull up to the front of the auto parts and go in for something quick, I would have to grind and grind on the starter to restart the Sub, and then when it finally started it would fill the street with unburned fuel smoke.[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Without that line the underhood heat expands the air entrapped in the fuel and pushes fuel past the needle valve, overfills the carb and fills the intake with raw gas.[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] The line; as was so perfectly pointed out; also reduces vapor lock by preventing the entrapped air in the fuel from bursting forth as the fuel passes the needle valve and depressurizes, which makes a bubble the size of a BB go to golf ball size and use up all the space in the carb float bowl.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There is hardly anything that detroit ever dreamed up that is as beneficial as the fuel return line.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Of course diesel engines have had them since DAY ONE.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement