Startup with a Weber - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-1999, 08:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Startup with a Weber

Does it normally take a little longer to start a 258 with a Weber? Is this normal or is there a process I need to do when starting?

Any help would be appreciated.....

CJ8George
o[[[[o
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-1999, 11:49 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Pete88YJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Startup with a Weber

George,
I don't know if you've followed the whole "fuel return line" fiasco with us weber owners, but it seems that the fuel return line at the fuel filter siphons the gas out of the carb when the Jeep sits overnight, causing you to need to turn over the jeep a few times in the AM to get the fuel up to the bowl, fill the bowl, and start the jeep.

I have disconnected the return line, and plugged it, and now I use simply the line from the mech. fuel pump up to the weber. Some people say that you will get vapor lock as the fuel is not circulating, but I haven't had any problems yet, and I know other people who run this way without issues. I tap my gas once in the AM to shut the choke, and she's running on the first revolution. I tell ya, with the weber, the GM HEI dialed in, the return line blocked, and the rebuilt 258 installed, my jeep is really becoming a normal running vehicle. It starts good hot and cold, idles good, has good power, and runs well every day, not every other.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMTs,9000#winch, hm swing out TC/HL mount ,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-27-1999, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey thanks for the info. How about answering another question... Is there a fast idle adjustment too? I noticed on the instructions (that came with my Weber) steps to set the fast idle. The steps referred to carbs that werent my model. I have the 32/36 DGEV. Is this what you have? Did you set the fast idle?

CJ8George
o[[[[o
Old 09-27-1999, 12:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did you check the choke adjustment when you did the install? The instructions that came with my Weber did not address that adjustment so I didn't do it when I did my install. I would have to crank mine 20-30 seconds and pump like crazy to get it to start. All you have to do is loosen the three screws on the electric connector at the carb and turn it until the choke closes when you pump the pedal. I had to adjust mine a couple of times until it was right.

Now, I pump the pedal twice and mine will start right up if it has only set overnight. If it has set a couple of days, it will take 3-4 pumps and turn over about 5 seconds before it will start. I still have the return line connected on mine thinking that it is a good idea since I have a fuel pressure regulator downstream.

I rarely go a day without driving mine, so the bowl drain problem is not a issue with me.

Old 09-27-1999, 01:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help Sahara. I dont quite understand what you mean by loosening the screws......

CJ8George
o[[[[o
Old 09-27-1999, 03:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry if I wasn't clear. If you are standing at the front of your Jeep looking at the carb, on the left side you will see round plastic device with an electrical connector. Inside this device is an electric heating element that when energized after start, slowly opens the choke. This is where the 12V wire connects to provide power for the electric choke to operate. I used the same wire that was connected to the choke on my Carter. Surrounding this device is a zinc plated "ring" with three screws attached. This ring acts as a clamp to prevent the entire choke assembly from rotating.

To adjust, remove the air cleaner so you can see the choke "butterfly". Open the throttle all the way so that the butterfly closes. If the butterfly does not close all the way, then loosen the three screws on the ring and rotate the plastic device until the butterfly closes, then tighten the screws. Mine started best when the butterfly barely closed, but I live in Florida and that may not be the best setting in a cold climate. You may have to play with it until you find what works best.

After that just set your fast idle to your liking. That screw is tough to see, but is located between the plastic choke device and the carb body. I just started mine and while the fast idle was engaged, turned the screw until I had it set at about 1800 rpm.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-27-1999, 04:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Pete88YJ is an unknown quantity at this point

George, you should be all set based on the other responses. The fast idle screw is indeed underneath the choke mechanism, and it's tough to see if you don't know where to look. You should have no problems with those adjustments.

I do have the 32/36, so if I can help at all, shout. My email address is in my profile.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMTs,9000#winch, hm swing out TC/HL mount ,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI.
Old 09-27-1999, 04:21 PM
Addict

LooseNut is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey George, There is a fast idle adjustment. It's right up under the electric heating element. It's a little hard to see. I adjusted mine about 1 turn and now it idles fast at first until you kick it down. I just disconnected my fuel return line last week, and so far it looks like it fixed the hard starting problem. If I let my Jeep sit a couple of dys, I had to crank and crank before the float bowl filled up with gas.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Old 09-28-1999, 01:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Two pumps in the morning and you should be set. As several have said before, the fast idle adjustment is nice when it set up right for the morning starts. good luck.

Old 09-28-1999, 07:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help.....
I appreciate it.

CJ8George
o[[[[o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement