Diesel swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2002, 11:41 PM
Addict

Woodsrider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Diesel swap

I was talking to guy today with an old Olds it had a V6 diesel, he said it was a 4.3, and was good on fuel. It looked like it would be a good swap in to my YJ. Anyone ever seen this swap?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2002, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Diesel swap

I have never heard of a GM 4.3 V-6 diesel. It could be a 350 V-8 diesel. That was the worst engine GM ever made. If you want to go diesel, you need to stay with a 4cyl. Anything else will be too big to fit.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-24-2002, 10:20 AM
Old Hand

Skellator is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a guy on here that put one of those Cummins T/D's in his jeep (DIESELYJ ??) [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
I've been considering the Mercedes 3.0L T/D. It's a 5 cyl. but have no idea about tranny compatibility though [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2002, 11:00 AM

Dirt Dog is on a distinguished road

I think Dieselyj used a 6.2 or 6.5 in his.
The 4.3 diesel V6 was used in midsized gm fwd cars like the olds ciera in the mid to late 80's. I have had a few com through the yard I work at. While I don't know a lot about them I haven't heard much good about them either. I think they were another gas conversion engine gone bad.(like the olds 350)
Old 03-24-2002, 11:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an uncle that had one of those 4.3 in a Cutlass Ciera once and absolutely hated it. It was very loud (for a passenger car) and vibrated like crazy. Keep in mind that my daily driver is a Powerstroke, so I don't mind the noise or inherent vibrations. The 4.3 had a lot more vibration than my PS. Those 4.3's were also used in front wheel drive cars and I don't know of anyone who sells or makes adapters for front drive engines. Even if it were a good engine you would have to adapt it yourself. Here's a photo of a Cummins 6BT in a CJ7. I don't know anything about it other than what you can see in the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 723930-cumminsside.jpg (26.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-24-2002, 05:27 PM
Enthusiast

DuaneD is an unknown quantity at this point

I too, looked at swaping in Diesel, but after REALLY looking at the costs and what it would take to completely beef up my drvietrain to handle all the torque, Perkins, Nissan, and Isuzu soltions seemed the best. In the final analysis, I swaped in a 94 4.0 into my CJ. However, Jeje has some EXCELLENT info for getting some info on this subject at http://pub3.ezboard.com/fjeepscrambl...cID=2596.topic This URL is located at http://scrambler.cj-8.com/discuss.asp which you may have to register to view. Good Luck and keep us posted to what you determine.
Old 03-24-2002, 06:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No one mentioned the older 4 cyl VW diesels. They should be around and even cooler still you might be able to find the newer VW TDI engines. Dont know too much about tranny apps and such, but the engines are nice engines if you can make them work.

Older Mercedes diesels would be good choices too.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:25 PM
Pooh-Bah

cj5_pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was a kid, my dad and I dropped a Detroit 4-43 Silver T/A (turbocharged and aftercooled) in a '78 F-250 Crew Cab. Lots of torque, but way heavy for a jeep. Before that, we knew a guy in Washington state with a Chevy Elcamino with a Detroit 2-53 in it....weird looking set up. The engine was so tall, he built a hood scoop to clear the top of it, and the pan still looked awfully low to me!

I've heard rumblings about DC putting a 4cyl cummings in the Dakotas and Durangos. Basically their 6cyl Turbo diesel with 2 cylinders lopped off. Now THAT would be just about right.....
Old 03-25-2002, 01:09 PM
Addict

jeeper2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a good site for the Olds Deisel. I have access to a late model Olds Deisel that I can get for free and have been toying with the idea of the Olds but I'm in no big hurry... I like the sound of my 360 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<a target="_blank" href=http://members.tripod.com/~A350Diesel/newmain.html>http://members.tripod.com/~A350Diesel/newmain.html</a>
Old 03-25-2002, 01:39 PM
Veteran

80cj is an unknown quantity at this point

DieselYJ has done all sorts of research on this. get in touch with him. i think he has a 6.5 liter turbo diesel. also try a search this has been discussed several times on here.

shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement