tie rod end from hell - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2002, 05:18 PM
Journeyman

JeepStud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tie rod end from hell

SO I am trying to seperate the Tie Rod end from the pitman arm on my 1984 CJ7, I bang the tie rod, to no luck, so I went to the loan a toool and got one of those proong thingies to seperate them, and the thing feels like it is bottoming out, right now my ears are ringing and the tie rod is still stuck on there, but the boot is all mashed up now. Would a puller be a better bet? They had those too. Someone please help me

I feel like I might have damaged the tie rod end now, so I am not tottally comfortable driving it by just bolting everything back up. Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2002, 05:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: tie rod end from hell

I'll share a secret I've learned. Toss the pickle fork. Remove the castle nut from the tie-rod. Get a BFH and smack the pitman arm on the side right where the rod bolts through it. The force of the blow will oval the hole and with the taper of the bolt, it will be forced out. You may need to hit it several times. If it's really stubborn, hold another BFH on the other side of the hole while you hit it. I haven't used a pickle fork for years!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-19-2002, 06:49 PM
Journeyman

JeepDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll second the double BFH theory.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:34 PM
Journeyman

if I am looking at the jeep head on, are you saying to bash the pitman arm on the left(passenger side), the right, or on the top or bottom. I hate this part. I think my ears are still ringing
Old 03-19-2002, 09:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sarge is an unknown quantity at this point

Hit it horizontally, like pinching the rod itself between the two hammers, not on the bolt . The more you pound on the bolt, the harder it is to get out . BTW, that pickle fork was the wrong size, that's why it bottomed out....
Sarge
Old 03-20-2002, 01:47 PM
Journeyman

well I spent today pounding on that sucker for like 15 minutes, but I was only using a good sized hammer, should I go out and purchase something like a 5 lb sledge? I also got a puller from a loan a tool program ut the thing didnt even come close to fitting. do you think where it is so stuck that I could drive it like 1 mile max and not have to worry bout it coming apart...

should I expect the same amount of trouble unthreading the end from the rod?

i am getting frustrated.............
Old 03-20-2002, 01:52 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

AllLockedUp is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd use at least a 3lb sledge. They're handy to have around in case you need to do body work. [grin]

I also wouldn't drive that thing anywhere until the problem is fixed. It's just not safe. You lose the end, bye-bye steering.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:52 PM
Journeyman

oh yea, if I move it in its current condition with the tie rod still stuck there, am I risking losing whatever alignment it may have had?
Old 03-20-2002, 02:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Something else is holding it then. Half a dozen hard whacks with a regular size hammer should have done it. 15 minutes - WOW - even if it was rusted, it should have come loose.
I wouldn't drive it with out the nut on. If you're only going a mile, alignment won't be a problem.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

3lb or 5lb BFH will work. Don't be afraid to hit it as hard as you can. you won't break the pitman arm. I usually use a pickle fork but if it's really stuborn then leaving the fork "stuck" inbetween and a couple of good wacks on the side of the pitman arm and she'll seperate. If you still can't get it heat the pitman arm real hot and then through a couple of ice cubes on the bolt to the tie rod. A slight tap to the bolt and presto they're apart. Don't worry about your allignment, as long as you don't twist your tie rod you're fine.
DO NOT DRIVE UNTIL FIXED, it's very hard to drive when your steering no longer goes where you want it to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement