NV4500 transmission Cooler - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2002, 09:40 AM
Can't Get Enough

kerryp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NV4500 transmission Cooler

I found this while I was looking for stuff for my new Dodge Diesel,,,If you have already seen it, sorry.

Anyway, its a trans cooler for the 4500. I can see a definite advantage to this for people who use the 4500 to tow or carry heavy loads, and I can actually see an advantage for wheelers too. It might not do much to cool, because of the slow speed we run, but it provides extra cpacity for more fluid, which can be beneficial...Anyway, check it out and comment on what ya think...

http://www.fastcoolers.com/index.html

kerryp

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
or for pictures
http://photos.yahoo.com/cj8r
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2002, 10:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: NV4500 transmission Cooler

Hmmm. Interesting idea. I personally think it to be kind of unneccessary--I don't think a manual transmission ever generates the kind of heat that would cause such a device to be necessary, even under extremely heavy loads. I also kind of doubt that such a small device, with no air "pass through" but only air "pass over" would do much for cooling. Looks like a good way to sell more of that expensive tranny fluid for a 4500, though.

I Jeep, therefore I am.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-13-2002, 10:28 AM
Can't Get Enough

kerryp is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, thats waht everyone else has told me too...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img], just thought it was interesting....I have never priced out the fluid, so I had no idea....but thats why I post this stuff to get opinions and to learn more ...

kerryp

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
or for pictures
http://photos.yahoo.com/cj8r
Old 03-13-2002, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

m715 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd agree dosen't look like it would be that effective with cooling...good way to sell more overprice tranny fluid

A friend had a standard chevy truck w/NV4500 and it had a tranny cooler about 2/3s the size of the radiator..how would that work? and it wasn't the AC condenser, never really paid any attention to it

I have heard when pulling a real heavy load those that watch tranny temps watch them get real hot...

Luke
http://www.cj7jeep.com
Old 03-13-2002, 12:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

NV4500s were never offered with a tranny cooler--how would they pump the oil?

If not an AC condenser, it would possibly be an oil cooler? But I don't think they were offered factory either...

Trannies that get hot during towing are generally AUTOS, not manuals. The only manuals I've ever seen get hot were those that were swapped into an inappropriate application. You'd be far more likely to heat up your R&P in a 2wd towing situation than you ever would be to overheat the tranny (again, unless it is seriously underspec'd for the job).

I Jeep, therefore I am.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:29 PM
Veteran

bluseman2a is an unknown quantity at this point

The NV4500 takes a gallon of fluid to start with, at $15-20 per quart that's already pretty steep, and I've never run mind hard enough in a Jeep to really think about needing one.

A diesel doing HD tow-duty may be another issue though.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Old 03-13-2002, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmm, that bolts on to the PTO spot on either side.. looks like another thing to get ripped off on a trail. just hainging off the side of the tranny... Nope I'd never put one on mine, although mine gets gotter than begeezes. The guy from advanced adapters says that its normal for it to get hot.

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.
Old 03-13-2002, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast

m715 is an unknown quantity at this point

>NV4500s were never offered with a tranny cooler--how would they pump the oil?
Exactly! always has confused me...I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a pair of lines coming off the PTO port cover on the side of the tranny, course this was ~4 years ago...and its probably just my mind going...
He did pull pretty big horse trailers with the truck.

For any normal use I don't think you'd get a NV4500 hot enough to hurt it...

Luke
http://www.cj7jeep.com
Old 03-13-2002, 03:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

it doesn't pump it.. the gears churn the oil(pump). this is just a tray that has fins that bolts onto the PTO cover, just an extension, if you will.

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:39 PM
Can't Get Enough

jfralph is an unknown quantity at this point

First off, for maximum heat disapation, anodize it dull black. You would be suprised at how effctive something like that could be to disipate heat, as long as there is air flowing over the fins. Next the problem. The first mudhole and all that fancy fin work is going to fill up and actually prevent cooling. Would probably work fine for a highway hauler however. You would not need it off-road anyway. Low RPM's do not generate enough friction to heat it up enough to worry about. I would definetly be concerned about dragging it over a rock and leaving it behind, with all the fluid. As for pumping fluid in this instance, wouldn't be needed. If normal gear splash (for lack of a more technical term), dosn't stir it up enough, convection currents in the fluid sure would. If the only comments on pumping were meant for remote coolers, disregard this last statement.

Now, for my question. What fluid do they use in these things?

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement