NV4500 transmission Cooler - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2002, 08:54 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NV4500 transmission Cooler

Yeah, I'm curious what fluid these use too.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2002, 09:11 PM
Can't Get Enough

kerryp is an unknown quantity at this point

You know, I noticed on my new dodge diesel that there is what appears to be a cooler in front of the radiator (and its not the evaporator, thats behind this cooler) that one of my friends at work pointed out and said, thats your tranny cooler, and I said, no way, I have a NV4500, he said, look at the lines, looks like they go down to the tranny. I dismissed what he was saying because I didn't think this was possible on a manual, and I still don't think its possible due to the pumping issue, but unfortuantely I haven't had the time to crawl around under it and play yet due to being busy. I'm gonna have to get under there and trace those lines and see where they go, I would bet they are some sort of oil cooler, since my rig has the complete HD towing package on it. I'll let you y'all know, especially after the post about the Chevy having the external cooler on the NV4500.

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
or for pictures
http://photos.yahoo.com/cj8r
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-13-2002, 09:58 PM
Official Historian

WILL is an unknown quantity at this point

kerryp, my bet for that extra cooler is an intercooler for the engine's intake air to cool the air coming out of the turbo and into the manifold.

Old 03-13-2002, 11:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Smokngun is an unknown quantity at this point

For the record, my '89 GMC 1 ton dually 454/T-400 had a fac-tree engine oil cooler, trans cooler, and power steering cooler. Too bad the radiator wouldnt keep the MOTOR cooler than 230 deg.!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, 1991 Cherokee Ltd.
Old 03-13-2002, 11:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You would be surprised how hot the fluid in a manual tranny gets. I have a tranny temp gauge in my Powerstroke with the 5-speed manual and many times have wished for a cooler. Pulling almost 20k (including truck) up a 6% grade for 20 miles generates a lot of heat. I've seen where a few guys on the Ford-diesel website have added coolers and pumps to their 5-speeds. The Ford 5-speed uses synthetic ATF.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
'63 CJ6 rolling chassis and body only
Old 03-14-2002, 06:29 AM
utahjeepr

Actually, the NV4500 generates a LOT of heat. That is the primary reason it uses synthetic lube. Dino lube would break down in record time in the 4500. I run Redline synthetic in mine (behind the Cummins in my M-715) instead of the Castrol Syntorq. I mix 50/50 with redline's MTL and MT-90 GL-4 synthetics. You don't want to use a GL-5 synthetic in the tranny. Those coolers and the extra quart of lube are said (by owners on the turbo diesel register newsgroup) to keep the temp down especially if running one on both sides of the tranny.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement