CJ7 350 Swap - approx. motor mount location - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2002, 06:03 AM
Journeyman

tys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CJ7 350 Swap - approx. motor mount location

Hi. I'm getting ready to install a 350TBI/SM465/NP205 into my 79CJ7 and was wondering if you guys who have made a this SBC swap could lend a hand. Right now I have a rolling chassis, with a YJ tub leaning on the wall, waiting to be installed. I'd like to know approx. locations of the motor mounts, so I can install this heavy mutha before I put the body on. It's so heavy and I'm limited in ceiling height...so this would work out great if I could do it this way. I'll be using the AA universal motor mount kit (weld in). Can someone take a couple measurements and pics and post them for me so I can c-clamp my motor mounts in place and get this project going? You could email me direct if you'd like. I've been working on this Jeep for 3 years now, and REALLY REALLY REALLY want to see it on the road this year.

Thanks,
Chris

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2002, 06:26 AM
Old Hand

CJ7JeepOffRoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CJ7 350 Swap - approx. motor mount location

Your best bet is to put the new body on, mark where the motor needs to go, then take the body back off and bolt everything up. Good Luck!

Rodney C
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-27-2002, 07:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought the motor mounts from 4wd Hardware. They bolted in the same place as the stock mounts did.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
Old 02-27-2002, 07:26 AM
Journeyman

what trans/t-case did you use? I've read that these mounts off-set the engine to the driver side by 1inch, which I don't need because I'm running a SM465/NP205 combo (NP205 is wider than a D300 and the front d-shaft doesn't interfere with the bellhousing). Can you take a pic of one side of the engine from under the fender, so I can see approx where the mount is placed? How much clearance do you have between the distrib. and firewall?

-Chris

Old 02-27-2002, 07:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

305,th400,d20. Do you plan on running electric fans or a clutch fan? I have limited amount of room for my fans. I can't take any pictures cause the jeep is at a different location. Sorry.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
Old 02-27-2002, 07:35 AM
Journeyman

Right now I'm planning on running a mechanical fan, but only because I have all the parts. If room is too tight, I'll swap to electric. I presume you're running electric(s). how many and what brand did you use? Why over mechanical, was it room or performance issues?

Chris

Old 02-27-2002, 08:11 PM
Addict

ducmon900 is an unknown quantity at this point

I take some pics here in the next couple of days. You might be better off though putting the body on and getting everything aligned first the way you want it.

Old 02-27-2002, 09:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I put a '92 LT1 350SB in my CJ7. You don't have enough room to run a mechanical fan. Sorry. The clearances are critical. I only had 1/8" from the distributor to the firewall. I pounded in the firewall about 1/2" and made it work. The previous post of putting the body on and bolt it up is well advised. I would be glad to send some pics or measurments if you want. I run a 700R4 and 208 case. My engine mounted right in the center. I wouldn't use anything that offset the engine an inch. It will make your driveline problems worse. If the Jeep is lifted, you'll have em.

Let me know.

85 CJ7,Chevy LT-1,700R4,NP208,4 1/2 lift,33's
77 Blazer,350 Cowl Induction,TH350,NP203 8", 33's

Old 02-28-2002, 05:25 AM
Journeyman

ducmon,

Yea, most definetly will be putting the body on and such for final placement...but I thought I'd jump ahead a bit and get a ballpark location, mount them with some c-clamps, and go from there.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 02-28-2002, 05:30 AM
Journeyman

Yea, pics and measurements of the mounts and the distributor section would be greatly appreciated. As I said before, I do plan on putting the body back on before I make final decision. And yes, I know about the centering vs. offset part. Did lots of research on that one. Offset is good if you run bowtie engine and jeep trans/t-case...keep it centered if you do anything else. Are you using a short or long waterpump? I've heard if you use a short waterpump, you can use a fan. Time will tell in the next month or so...

Yes, it's lifted. SOA with YJ packs. I'll be runngin SBC/SM465/NP205. Yup...driveline issues, but those can and will be solved...

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement