Lock-Right Lockers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2002, 08:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Lock-Right Lockers

Im considering ordering a Lock-Right Performance Locker and am looking for some feedback from anyone who is running one. Good, Bad, Noise, Anything will help. Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2002, 09:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: Lock-Right Lockers

At the top of the screen there is a search button. Try a search function on "lockright" or "Lock Right" on the Shortwheelbase bbs, for the past 6 months or so. Tons of feedback is available.

Short version: not as durable as full-case locking differentials (such as detroit, ARB, OX), but cheap, easy to install, and they work pretty well. They aren't as well-mannered on-road, but they're liveable. I have one in both of my vehicles.

Try the search. Then, if you have any more ???s, let us know.

I Jeep, therefore I am.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-29-2002, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast

lugnut is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the BBS. I am running a lockrite in a AMC20 with one piece axles and 33's. I havent had any problems with it. It works awesome off road, and on the street you notice it occasionally. It will make noise sometimes when turning a corner and releasing - nothing bad - thats just how it works. I wouldn't give it up for anything - well mabye a detroit and some 4.56 gears[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Lugnut 77 cj5
Old 01-29-2002, 09:41 AM
Journeyman

gmoabrim is an unknown quantity at this point

I had one in the front (d30) of my 82 CJ-7 for 5 years and it has worked well on the trails here in Moab. Like any locker, it makes turning on slick rock tough so I installed a twin stick shifter to take the front out until needed. Last fall I tore up the r&p in the front and will now go back with an ARB and a manual air switch setup. The Loc-Rite showed NO signs of abuse, only shinny spots on the clutch teeth. Maybe I have just been lucky.

GM

Old 01-29-2002, 09:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have one in my front D30, Spool in the rear with 4:88's on 35's. I have only had one chance to use it and this was in Paragon Offroad Park. The only problem I found is that there were times that I had to unlock my hub so that I could turn the wheels while I was on some rocks. This was a pain but it worked fine otherwise. Pontiac58 was a great spotter that day so thanks Jim..

I had no noise, or any problems. I am considering doing a twin stick on my D20 so that while on the rocks I can go 2wdlow in the rear while steering when needed.

This is my first front locker, I was amazed on how well it did. While the hub was unlocked I would be a sitting duck but when we locked it back up I climbed everthing.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
Old 01-29-2002, 11:15 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

TiminMb is an unknown quantity at this point

Had one in the rear amc20 for several years and I liked it. Made a ticking noise as it ratcheted around tight slow turns on pavement. Best to push in the clutch and coast thru a tight parking spot or u turn. The odd time it would make a bang after straightening out. Lasted well. Broke the alignment pins after the two piece axles spun a hub. Replaced the pins and went on with one piece axles till I traded it all for the 44 and detroit. Detroit is much smoother,but no more effective off road.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
Old 01-29-2002, 12:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sarge is an unknown quantity at this point

One hint if you order a lock-rite: don't get the more expensive kit with the side gear couplers. Just re-use your side gears, or that thing will lock and unlock violently since the new couplers have square teeth instead of the round ones.
Sarge

If it aint broke , I can still fix it...
Old 01-29-2002, 12:07 PM
Can't Get Enough

jeeperjohn is on a distinguished road

I have one that is new in the box for sale if you are interested. e-mail me springoveryj@home.com for more info

They that can give up essential
liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Old 01-29-2002, 01:33 PM
Cerrals

I had one in my CJ-5 with a Dana 44, it was great off road but made a lot of clicking and clunking going around corners. I now have the Powertrax No-Slip in my CJ-7's AMC20 and works a lot smoother. It gives the same traction as the Lock-Right but makes almost no noise on the street. It does cost about $100 more, but it's well worth it.

Old 01-30-2002, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have them front and back in my 78 CJ5. They work fine off road. Like any other full time locker, you have to let off the gas and coast to get it to turn on dry pavement.

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement