Hooking Air compressors together. Bad idea? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Go Back   Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups > Jeep > Jeep-Short Wheelbase

Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2002, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Hooking Air compressors together. Bad idea?

What would happen if you hooked 2-3 air compressors together? Either via a manifold or another smaller tank. I guess my main question is what happens to the regulator when it is getting pressure from the other direction? Seems like a good way to get extra CFM's when using things like sanders, die grinders, etc. But I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to force air through a regulator in the wrong direction. Thanks

Bakes
97 Wrangler
90 Bronco
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2002, 11:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

H8monday is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hooking Air compressors together. Bad idea?

Run them all to a common source line, at a point before the regulator. Use check valves at the output of each compressor so that they can operate using there own pressure switches. or if they are all rated the same you could put the pressure switch somewhere at a combined source like just before the regulator, and run them all off of one switch. I would still recommend a check valve at each source.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-26-2002, 11:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I figured I could plumb the line like that; however, the question remains: what happens when I plug 3 air compressors into a single mainfold? Thanks

Bakes
97 Wrangler
90 Bronco
Old 01-26-2002, 12:09 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Jeepzilla is an unknown quantity at this point

With check valves , nothing but more air .Well maybe not more , but faster delivery . What are you planning ? York OBA or Home compressor experiment ? My 10" stroke York with additional reserve capacity(big tank) would rival a large compressor .

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Old 01-26-2002, 12:39 PM

Jim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud ofJim_Lou has much to be proud of

It will work just fine. Does each compressor have it's own tank, or is there just one tank?

Assuming a tank on each compressor, you want a shutoff valve at the tank, then a pipe or hose to a common manifold. Draw all your air off the manifold.

If you have only one tank, run the output of each compressor through a valve to the tank, or to a manifold that's plumbed to the tank. Then draw all your air out of a different place on the tank.

I would also suggest that you have a separate pressure switch for each compressor, set for slightly different pressures, so that they won't all try to start at the same time.

You want to have things valved so that a compressor can be disconnected without disabling the system. Also make sure that each pressure switch is seeing the pressure at the compressor it's controlling. You don't want to rig something that would allow a switch in the tank to start up a compressor that's been valved off from the system.

I like using hoses in air systems to isolate the vibrations of the compressor from the rest of the system. I had a hydraulic house make up a 2-foot piece of 3000PSI hydraulic hose about 10 years ago, and it's working fine.

Old 01-26-2002, 02:18 PM
Addict

Bob Ackley is an unknown quantity at this point

When I built my OBA system, I made an adapter so in case my compressor totally failed, AND I somehow depleted my storage tank, I could plug into an external air source and refill my system from the QD.
I have often simply plugged my shop into this, and used both systems together for the demanding, hi-CFM jobs.

Bob in Ma.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

CJDave is an unknown quantity at this point

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Who says this BBS isn't technical!!!! You have received some great tips on making this multi-compressor setup! To summarize: (1) Use a check valve for each unit; (2) Use a separate switch for each unit if they can be valved off the common line; (3) Use an UNLOADER for each unit if it is an elecric drive setup. Often the unloader is in the pressure switch and if all units don't share the same switch it will be a problem. When I have a high-CFM job here in the Jeeplab, I couple my big guy and my small compressor together just as they are; each with it's own tank, each with it's own switch/unloader. Neither unit even suspects that it is in parallel with another compressor and simply obeys it's own switch and tank pressure signal.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".
Old 01-27-2002, 08:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks all. Just to clarify. The check valve is the thingy that "pops" when the pressure gets to high right? kinda like a Fuse. I have the standard home depot compressor that works great for impact wrench, air ratchet,etc. but kinda drags on things like sanders, cut-off tools, and die grinders. It has what looks like a check valve and it has a pressure cut off switch. My friend has a similar setup.

I plan on installing 2 male quick disconnects and 1 female quick disconnect to a manifold. Each compressor will plug into the males and the tool line will plug into the female.

Also, what is an UNLOADER and do I need one with my setup?

Thanks again.

Bakes
97 Wrangler
90 Bronco
Old 01-27-2002, 09:08 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Jeepzilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats the safety pop-off valve your thinking of .Check valve is the little deal that stops the air from the rest of the system going back to the compressor . A one way valve so to speak .Here is my OBA setup and you can see the check valve on the right of the manifold . My check valve also works as part of my unloader system too.As you can see in the picture. The pop off (safety) valve is located on the left side , besides the guage .

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-666806-DCP_0004.JPG (79.7 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement